From horror to beauty!

D

DSS_007

I started buying new hardware 7 months ago knowing I would be loading XP and I wanted everything to be compatible. Just when I was so excited hearing from everyone on this forum how good XP was I was finally ready to build my new system. I get my new XP Pro cd and start loading. Fresh load, new 80 gb seagate barracuda IV, yes I just can't wait! To make a long story short and 13 reformats and reloads later I have finally finished.

Intermitent problems, corrupt data, blue screens of death, agh! I could not figure out what was wrong. Tried different hard drives, configurations, nothing worked. It turned out it all boiled down to my NEW ROUND IDE CABLES. The minute I replaced the with the old fashioned ribbon cables everything went and has been smooth sailing since. I am sorry for the length of the post but for all you newbies out there just some simple advice, when all else fails it just might be a bad ide cable! Thanks to all on this forum who have shared there knowledge to make our XP-erience a lot better.

Originally posted by DSS_007
Intermitent problems, corrupt data, blue screens of death, agh! I could not figure out what was wrong. Tried different hard drives, configurations, nothing worked. It turned out it all boiled down to my NEW ROUND IDE CABLES. The minute I replaced the with the old fashioned ribbon cables everything went and has been smooth sailing since.

round??? never hear of round eide cable except for heat? You sure you dont mean 80 wire vs. 40 wire?

let us know... thanks!

thanks for letting us know.... as i was just about to order some ..... they do allow better cooling , but i think i will stick to my normal cables now

thanks

:p

scu160r3bsmall.jpg

Wierd, round ones are much easier to move and place that those horrid grey sheets :D

gj

I'll take my chances. My Athlon is still a bit too toasty for my likes.

I think I just got a bad pair of cables. I just wanted people to be aware that if you have problems which cannot be explained try swapping out your ide cables with new ones. I have heard that over time ide cables can deteriorate, but these were brand new 80 wire round ones.;)

cool thanks for showing that picture of the round eide cables. I have never seen those before. Now I know! Thanks!

Soon gonna buy 2 ata100 cables + 1 floppy, transparent. I think they are really worth the dough, mainly because of the look inside the case. Lower temperature I only take as a bonus:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back