Fried Cpu!?!?!

the odd thing is that i dont remember putting in any thermal paste im currently trying to take in and out the video card and ram sticks but keep getting beeps. should i try the ram sticks in the same slot or do i interchange them into other slots. currently with everything in all 4 ram sticks and video card The beeps go: 1 double beep 8 quick beeps i tried reseting the cmos, im not sure exactly what kind of bios i have so it made googling the beeping codes really difficult im wondering if someone knows what it is from the motherboard.

im worried about my cpu...
I little while ago i said my cpu was at 97 degrees farenheit, it is now at 118 degrees farenheit.
I checked the temp in my room and it was 85 degrees!,
I turned the air on :)
Stupid heat, i guess this means i need to liquid cool eh?
Anyways, id just monitor you computer for temps, and get the thermal paste when you can...

Actually, I believe there are some substitutes for thermal paste. But nothing that works quite the same. Mayonaise I think is one of them. You can get thermal paste at Radio Shack even.
I wouldn't strongly suggest using the household method as it can add to an already damaged system.

You might want to check your CPU's pins. Some of them could be bent, which would cause this issue. The best way to fix bent CPU pins the household method is by using a mechanical pencil. BUT if you do not feel comfortable performing this, there are some people on the net that charge a small fee to do this.

I would do this for you if you have bent pins for free. You would just need to pay for shipping to and from. But that's if you have bent pins worthy of actually fixing.

Vanquished said:
im worried about my cpu...
I little while ago i said my cpu was at 97 degrees farenheit, it is now at 118 degrees farenheit.
I checked the temp in my room and it was 85 degrees!,
I turned the air on :)
Stupid heat, i guess this means i need to liquid cool eh?
Anyways, id just monitor you computer for temps, and get the thermal paste when you can...

Well liquid cooling will only cool as well as the room temp.

Hey guys, after much testing out different parts here is what happened.

I took out the video card and booted up and nothing different happened, I checked all 4 sticks of Ram individually and still nothing changed so I ruled that out. Thanks guys for letting me know it's NOT the CPU because that's a big *phew* for my empty wallet.

Now since I hear it's most likely the video card I took out my video card again and popped in my old sexy ATI 9200se and guess what, here I am!!! Computer is working again so even though I'm happy to find out what the problem was (my vid. card) now im depressed that it's my video card lol. SIghh cost so much....

Now I don't have a steep budget so I was thinking of perhaps switching to a Nvidia 7600gs, anybody know if this is better>

EDIT: The fan in the 6600gt video card has a lot of dust in it...could this have lead to my problem? the fan was still spinning fine...

THANKS guys for all the help

No problem sounded like the videocard to me glad it all worked out.

Admiral Michael said:
Well liquid cooling will only cool as well as the room temp.
Really?
I thought it was like an A/C system...

duked said:
the odd thing is that i dont remember putting in any thermal paste

Newer AMD heatsinks come with the thermal paste pre-applied, once you fix it onto your mobo the paste is pressed onto the CPU automatically. Pretty cool actually, much better than those awful rank-bad thermal pads they used to use!

NB Many people advise that if you remove the heatsink from your CPU you should clean the existing paste off the CPU and reapply with some fresh stuff. Just a tip for future reference :)

Yeah,
My heatsink came with the past on it, had a piece of plastic to cover it. It was so easy to install!

Vanquished said:
Really?
I thought it was like an A/C system...

That too, I heard you can only have like a 10-20 temperature difference between indoors and out.

Back to the topic:

Glad to hear you got it sorted, sounds almost exactly like the issue I had when my AIW 9600XT died.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back