Freshly partitioning advice

Dublex

A Knight to Remember
I know this question has been asked alot, but I just wanted to see what people thought of the system I am going to put on the PC.

Currently I have a 24GB HD with just one Partition with just WinXP, my apps and all my games on it - not suprisingly it takes half an eternity to defrag so I was thinking of re-juggling the system so that it has the following parition set-up using Partition Magic 7.

1) Windows 98SE on the primary C: Partition using FAT32 (so that I can use it for games etc) 4-5GB

2) Windows XP on the next partition using NTFS 5GB

3) General App / Game partition using FAT32 10GB

4) File storge area (for if one of the OS bites it so I don't lose all the files) using FAT23 and whatever space is left (probably about 4-6GB

Now, If I start from a completely new reformat after changing the main partition back to FAT32 (its currently NTFS) or alternative kill everything on the C: drive apart from WinXP, then use Partition Magic 7 to convert back to FAT32 and create the partitions before reformatting is it best to use primary or logical partitions? will WinXP detect logical partitions if I freshly install after primarily installing Win98SE or does it only detect primary partitions?

Oh, as I've not carried this out before, I assume I will probably need to install a game twice on both OS systems if I want to play it on both systems on the App / Game drive.

What does everyone think?

if I were you I would do a complete reinstall (fdisk, format, install) i would do a 5 gig c:\windows98 and 15 gig xp (ntfs) 5 gig storage...because if you hose xp you will have to reinstall the apps anyway so just keep them on the same drive...then keep all your personal files and downloads on the 5 gig drive keep this one fat32 so that your win98 can use it also...can make this bigger if you have more shit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back