Freezing with high pitch squeeling

belveder

OSNN Senior Addict
The last couple days my computer keeps freezing with a high pitch squeeling noise. If I am playing music or a game then most times these audios will still keep playing but that's all, the rest of the computer is frozen and I have to press the reset switch to get out of it.

Any help or advice would be greatlfully appreciated

My system in case you need it (running XP Pro)

K8n NEO Platinum Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64+ 3200 CPU with Thermaltake Venus12 fan
2 gig DDR400 memory
MSI NX6600GT Video Card
250 GIG Western Digital IDE HD
200 GIG Western Digital SATA HD
80 gig WD IDE External HD for backups
NEC ND 3520A DVD Burner
Pioneer 110 DVD Burner
SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS soundcard
Topower TOP-500PS 500W PSU
Thermaltake Kandalf Tower
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Logitech Optical Mouse
Altec Lansing 5100 5.1 speaker system

Nothing bad on the list of hardware. There were some issues with Audigy boards but I think the "2's" are ok. Unusual brand PSU but after I translated the spec's to English it meets all the requirements for your system.

The usual list of suspects:
-Has it gotten hot the last few days. Check CPU () and MB () temps. Make sure ALL fans are turning and not caked with dust. Clean as necessary.

-Any new software or driver updates over the last few days. Do a restore to before them.

-Any electrical storms or power outages the last few days. The bios CMOS memory can get corrupted. Check and make sure MB sound is not turned on.

If that doesn't work you get to start removing parts oen at a time to see if the problem clears up.

PS Wicked sig.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I'll answer the questions inorder

The usual list of suspects:
-Has it gotten hot the last few days. Check CPU () and MB () temps. Make sure ALL fans are turning and not caked with dust. Clean as necessary.

It hasn't been that hot, the cpu temp never went about 38C, HD's 32C & 30C

-Any new software or driver updates over the last few days. Do a restore to before them.

Nothing new, except for a TV Card that I forgot to write in - Leadtek Winfast DTV 1000T

-Any electrical storms or power outages the last few days. The bios CMOS memory can get corrupted. Check and make sure MB sound is not turned on.

Yes we had a couple power blackouts about 2 weeks ago

Thanks again

I've had trouble with my audigy 2 zs from the get go. Some of us are just unlucky, kinda disapointing after spending $100 that i cant use it.. still havent found a fix :/. Though I'm gonna try putting it into my new mobo when i get it soon then it may work, apprently people say this particluar model has had some pci bus issues and what not and creative is having a tough time fixing the problem. Most people's solution is just upgrading to an X-FI card from creative, then again thats not always an option for those of us on a budget :p

AHHAAA! Audigy and TV cards have issues.
Sometimes they do not play well together, especially the ATI Video.

Pull the TV Card, remove it's drivers and see if the problem goes away. If it does and you want the card back it's time to play driver roulette. It goes roughly like this.

Uninstall audigy and TV. Use ccleaner.exe to get all vestiges of the cards out. Install one, make sure everything is good. Then install the other one.

You must use the latest drivers. They are constantly trying to fix issues like yours so it may heal itself with any update. A call to leadtek may help. Nobody is posting the information I have below in their FAQs. They will tell you this over phone suppor tthough.

If this did not work repeat and reverse the install order.

If that doesn't work try the driver that came with the cards.

Rant-
Yes, this is a frustrating, time consuming problem. I did over 20 reinstalls and spent over 40 hours to get my ATI AIW working. (note my flattering opinion of ATI in my sig.) Junior tech's, senior techs, support supervisors, you name it. Six weeks after my pruchase drivers that allowed basic operation came out. Then 12 weeks after pruchase and my sending them video/sound recordings of the problem they put out a driver set that makes everything useable if not as good as I expect from a $300 card.

ATI recommended avoiding Audigy cards and creative products in general. Farsical considering creative is king of the audio world. The problem seems to have appeared when the TV cards started trying to send audio data over the bus instead of through an external jumper to the aux sound input. A nice feature but they seem to have major problems getting it working and stable.

the audigy and audigy 2 have a squeal of death issue period. not just with tv cards. so far the only solution that works is to replace the card with an x-fi.

those cards are still very expensive here, I'll try removing the Leadtek card and see what happens

If the leadtek doesn't fix the problem you can switch over to on board sound while doing an RMA on the audigy.

I have not heard how creative is responding to warantee claims on the squeeling. Also ask about an exchange program if they can't fix the card.

Anybody had any luck with a return?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back