Freezing and error messages

Temperal

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi all, I haven't been here in a while but I know that you guys tend to get the job done so here goes...

I've got an MSI GeForce 3 Ti500 that seems to be giving me some trouble. I'm not sure if it is software or hardware related. My screen keeps freezing up and I am getting artifacts at times when I run 3d applications. No problems unless it is a 3d based application. The fan on the card is running fine but the card and ram seem to be quite hot.
I have installed drivers a couple of times recently and have used DriverCleaner. At one point I got a message that said Windows files had been changed and this could effect stability. It asked for a disk to replace the files but my Windows recovery disk(OEM) and system file disk did not satisfy it. It just said they were the wrong disk. Not sure if this is when it started or not. Here is a copy of the windows error log in the "watchdog" directory. Like I said, don't know if the card is just going out or if it some sort of a problem with the software. I have reinstalled 2 different versions of Nvidia's drivers with no success. Here is the log.

// Watchdog Event Log File

LogType: Watchdog
Created: 2004-05-30 01:33:11
TimeZone: 420 - US Mountain Standard Time
WindowsVersion: XP
EventType: 0xEA - Thread Stuck in Device Driver

// The driver for the display device got stuck in an infinite loop. This
// usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device
// driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your
// display device vendor for any driver updates.

ShutdownCount: 248
Shutdown: 0
EaRecovery: 1
EventCount: 13
BreakCount: 13
BugcheckTriggered: 1
DebuggerNotPresent: 1
DriverName: nv4_disp
EventFlag: 1
DeviceClass: Display
DeviceDescription: NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500
HardwareID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0202&SUBSYS_00321545&REV_A3
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
DriverFixedFileInfo: FEEF04BD 00010000 0006000E 000A1628 0006000E 000A1628 0000003F 00000008 00040004 00000003 00000004 00000000 00000000
DriverCompanyName: NVIDIA Corporation
DriverFileDescription: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 56.72
DriverFileVersion: 6.14.10.5672
DriverInternalName: nv4_disp.dll
DriverLegalCopyright: (C) NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.
DriverOriginalFilename: nv4_disp.dll
DriverProductName: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 56.72
DriverProductVersion: 6.14.10.5672

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Temperal

but the card and ram seem to be quite hot.
Unless your overclocking thats your problem right there. Providing adequate cooling to your card is a must. Also make sure the inside of your case is not running to hot.

have you taken the heatsink off the card ?
chance is the paste has gone hard so its not transfering the heat away from the GPU.

If your card uses thermal adhesive you can use acetone to remove the heatsink, it’s a real pain in the ass though FYI.

Me and a buddy both had problems with our GE3 cards. They crapped out after a about a year. First sign was artifacts and then lock-ups.

The GPUs since the GE2 all ran too hot and are subject to thermal degradation and failure over time. This can be aggravated (accelerated) by overclocking, letting the hfs get dust on it, poor case ventilation, too high system temps, etc.

I'd start saving for the next vid card. I squeaked a couple months extra out of mine by underclocking it, keeping the fan spotless and lowering system temps. If it's started acting up it's just a matter of time now. The problems just kept getting more frequent until it died completely.

Sorry.

Thanks all for the replies. Your help is most appreciated. I went ahead and formated and reinstalled Windows last night. I've needed to do it for a while. And, it would appear that the card is getting ready for life as a paperweight. Still getting the same problems. I think rather than trying to take the ram sinks and fan off and putting arctic silver on I'm going to just get another card.
Anyone have any opposition to a nvidia 5900xt, or have other suggestions. I'm trying to stay at or below $200.

Thanks again
Temperal

9800 PRO is a fine card (and I think runs cooler, SAZAR will slap me if I'm wrong).

OEM prices as low as $179. (No cables or software.)
Sapphire branded at $207. (Sapphire makes many ATI branded cards for ATI.)
ATI branded at about $227. (ATI has a 3 year warantee.)

the 5900xt is great bang for your buck (much better than a 9600xt imo), but if you can afford the 9800pro even better.

So I went and got a Gainward 5900xt off of Newegg. I also purchased a 430 watt power supply. Upon installing both the vid card and the power supply I am still experiencing video problems. The 5900xt will get to about the point where windows is done loading and then the screen freezes. It tends to look pixelated. I've tryed safe mode and VGA mode, no luck. I was able to put my ti-500 back in and at first it would run in normal mode but would still freeze in games. Now when I boot up with the ti-500 my computer will only boot in 4bit 640x480 or 4bit 800x600. I am unable to change it to another color depth. The rails on the new power supply good. The 12v is running a bit high around 12.2-12.6. I'm starting to think something is wrong with my agp slot. Or maybe something got screwed up with my software? I'm well beyond my scope of knowledge. Any suggestions are again appreciated. By the way I'm using an Nforce motherboard and am writing this using the onboard video which is working just fine. Thanks...

Temperal

Get nasty file remover, nfr.exe (its freeware)

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/1/12-1-28.shtml

and remove all the video drivers (since you have an nforce mb make sure you don't remove the MB drivers by accident).

Then put the 5900 in and do a clean install of the latest drivers for it.

Also, what are your CPU and system temperatures? Unlikely an issue since it happens at boot.

Thanks for the reply. I've tryed wiping out all of the drivers and still no luck. I was reading in the motherboard thread about capacitors bursting/leaking. I've noticed on the top of some of my capacitors that there is caked on brownish "stuff", so I'm assuming that the board is going.
So I now have 2 questions.

1. I put the new vid card in and tryed to run it with no luck. I did this assuming that it was just my old vid card that was bad. If the capacitors are shot, could this have screwed up the new vid card? Unfortunately I don't have another computer around that I can test it in.
2. I've decided to go ahead and get another motherboard and keep all my current components (Athlonxp 1900+ and 2 sticks of 256mb pc2100 and the new vid card if it is still good). I want to go with an nforce2 board and I think I've narrowed it down to the Asus(A7N8X-E Deluxe) or the Abit(AN7). Any suggestions?
Thanks again :)

hmmmm

Just looked at your post and it sounds like to me your motherboard is going up on you if your capastators are breaking and that brown acid is comming from them. Probaly because you need to clean your PC out with canned air or something. Or....you could try to get another copy of windows xp from best buy or something (or download it; not gonna tell ya where) you know, just give it a shot... also, if you have "fast writes" enabled that can cause problems with games too...i was getting very strange graphics problems in certain games until i disabled it. I had a problem with my motherboard a long time ago...i had a compaq pc (now i build my PCs) and my motherboards compasators were emploding and before that...my cpu was overheating big time (i had a p4 1.7ghz) because of dust build up in my pc and power supply...i had so much dust it wasnt funny...games wouldnt go past 3fps or anything. If none of that stuff works for you, I suggest a new motherboard...if you can afford it go with a Asus a8v deluxe for athlon 64/FX cpus.

jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back