Freeware application to password protect folders?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

My Captain at the fire house wants to be able to password protect a specific directory. This may stem in the future to more directories that he wishes to do this. He presently uses Windows Vista, however I am not sure which edition.

Are there any freeware applications out there, that will enable him to set a password on a folder and have to enter it every time he wants to access it? Googled a bit but prefer getting some reviews from you guys whom I trust more.

Thanks!

bmclaughlin807

Let's blow something up.
Political Access
If you're using NTFS on the drive you could set up different accounts and use Vista's built in security to set permissions to the directories (If you're using Fat32 there's a utility to convert it to NTFS with no information loss)

Another option would be to use something like Truecrypt to create a section of the drive that is encrypted... when you open the encrypted container (With the password) it looks like another drive connected to the system. When it's closed nobody else can get access to it.

trukkmann

OSNN Addict
You can zip a folder and password protect it. Doesn't require downloading/installing anything.

DaveTuborg

OSNN One Post Wonder
Your Captain can use Password Protect Folder. Free trail is available from the program web site and it is good for 30 days. After that the program is $39.95. I believe the program is worth it. Have a look.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nodee