Freeware Antivirus comparison.

err. those tests indicate that both avg and avast have past the latest june test...I see no compelling reason to switch to avast?

I've run various programs in the past, this is the first try for Avast!. So far, I like it.

Look at the trend. Avast is by far the most consistent. AVG until now have failed every single test!
Plus look at freeware Avast! features AVG lacks:
- Virus encyclopedia
- Log Viewer
- Various appearances - skin support
- Antivirus screen-saver
- P2P and Instant Messaging Scanner

The AV screensaver is great, looks like your nromal flying windows, but scans your comp at the same time :D

Better still - it actually lets you choose which screensaver you want while scanning !

Originally posted by coathanger007
Look at the trend. Avast is by far the most consistent. AVG until now have failed every single test!
Plus look at freeware Avast! features AVG lacks:
- Virus encyclopedia
- Log Viewer
- Various appearances - skin support
- Antivirus screen-saver
- P2P and Instant Messaging Scanner

The only one of those I would value would be the last one and avg has caught partially downloaded virus files on my system in the past and I'm pretty sure the real time scanner picks up hints of anything new anywhere...

Whatever AVG can do Avast! can do better. Virus Bulletin does a more comprehensive test then you can ever hope to do on your own. I'll let the results in my first post speak for themselves. :)

maybe I'll give it a shot. to tell u the truth the main reason I like/use avg is because I also use norton and the 2 dont conflict....which i'm not so sure will be the same btw norton & avast...

I don't understand why you'd want to run 2 antivirus programs at the same time. You'll get absolutely no gain. In fact, you'll lose system resources and access speeds with two scanners running simultaneously. When my NAV subscription ran out I uninstalled it completely and went to Avast! - for good :)

I just want to note the VB100 are not complex or in depth tests and for these particular products should not be looked at as an indication of the better one.

Both Avast and AVG do not perform well on the VB100, 17 fails is nothing to be pleased about.

In prior tests conducted by various groups more in depth analysis of the detection rates has been done and the percentage difference between the two is not large.

I will also say in response to Leedogg's comment - "I see no compelling reason to switch to avast?"

There is no reason based on detection rates to switch products.
They both do not boast excellent detection rates and indeed in response to your question coathanger007 talked about the features of Avast despite the fact the thread is about judging them on detection rates.

Both of these AV are good free products, users that use AVG do not use it because it has excellent detection rates, they use it because its small, free and efficient.

Also to note previous threads by myself have noted the good detection rates of AVG when dealing with windows viruses, the VB100 may included none-windows samples which AVG does not detect.

If you want a free AV either product you choose is fine but do not choose one based on there detections rates as reported by VB100, look at more in depth test results and also realise a free product is not going to be as powerful in these areas as the leading retail products.

avast

I was using nod32 lately and decided to try avast. I have used symantec 8.1, norton corp 7.6 and avg on the regular and avast to my surprise picked up a trojan that all the others missed. So I guess I'll try it for a while.....;)

There is actually a reason to use 2 antivirus at the same time though I wouldn't waste the resources doing it.

There is no antivirus that is 100.000% efective. Some of the antivirus work a little (emphasis on a little) better than others depending on the type of threat so using 2 that complement each others weaknesses can be more effective.

But life is too short for that kind of paranoia. Make back ups. It's not like windows can run forever without a clean install (smirks to himself at 13 months since last re-install and still running ok on my gaming machine).

as enyo says, I prefer avg for the reason that no other virus detection can compare

2 mbs memory

now, tell me again how avast beats avg please

I didnt say that

I know it has a smaller footprint, all i said is that it picked up a trojan the others didnt. I also think the footprint is larger than 2mb's.

Avast beats AVG by continuing to be free - AVG are going un-free at the end of this year (apparently).

So the rumours say and have done for sometime.

Seem to hear a lot like this but the fact is GriSoft keep saying they will continue to provide updates and support for AVG 6 Free.

We shall see.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back