FreeBSD compatibility

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
I am considering trying out a dual monitor setup with my current PC. I would like to use freeBSD and XOrg but quite frankly im not sure how things will work.

Im using a shuttle system, it has Realtek audio (AC'97), Nforce2 chipset and onboard GeForce4 MX with dual-head.

basically im just wanting to know if any freebsd gurus can let me know if a desktop system could be setup on it fairly easily.

I want to be able to use my pioneer dvdrw (dvd-108) also, along with the sound.

any tips on how to install sound/gnome and primarily xorg would be great :)

Sound:

recompile kernel with appropriate module for your sound driver, or load snd_driver.kld (IIRC).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

GeForce 4 Dual head:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

Then using Xorg's -scanpci or whatever the option is, find out the device numbers, add in the same device twice. Google for sample configuration files, many people have done it.

I am running Multi-head with multiple gfx cards.

Gnome:

pkg_add -r gnome
pkg_add -r xorg-server

or cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2 (Also install fifth-toe, and power-tools for extra stuff)
make install
cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg-server
make install

Depends on what you want. (Don't quote me on the paths)

As for DVD burning, you will have to look in the ports tree, if you want to burn standard iso's, there is always the standard utility called burncd, but the ports tree can help you more.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back