FreeBSD 6.2 Released

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
The latest version of the FreeBSD operating system 6.2 has been released.

The highlights are
  • freebsd-update(8) provides officially supported binary updates for security fixes and errata patches
  • Experimental support for CAPP security event auditing
  • OpenBSM audit command line tool suite and library
  • KDE updated to 3.5.4, GNOME updated to 2.16.1
  • csup(1) integrated cvsup client now included
  • Disk integrity protection and authentication added to geli(4)
  • New amdsmb(4), enc(4) ipmi(4), nfsmb(4), stge(4) drivers
  • IPFW(4) packet tagging
  • Linux emulation support for sysfs
  • BIND updated to 9.3.3
  • Many driver updates including em(4), arcmsr(4), ath(4), bce(4), ata(4), and iwi(4)

This version also adds a new platform, FreeBSD can now run on an Xbox

Further Information

We have been running 6.1 flawlessly for 7 or so months I think, hopefully it will have something in there that will make X dash out and get us upgraded ;)

But he knows best!

I just upgraded my desktop machine as a test case. Apart from trying SCHED_ULE the first time which hung after getting entropy for point_to_point, then switching back to SCHED_4BSD all went fine. I will be testing upgrading a couple servers later this evening. I am quite liking the idea of csup being in base now. No need to download ports to get cvsup-without-gui to then cvsup to latest ports then start getting stuff :p

can just csup and go :D

Though admittedly I've stopped cvsup'ing ports, just using portsnap now, but good to not need to install cvsup and ezm3 in order to update source :D

Not had any issues with ULE myself, been using it on our DNS servers since 5.2. Makes a nice improvement to SMP machines which our DNS servers are.

what platform are your DNS servers on? I was trying this on an amd64 dual-core and nForce motherboard

thats probably it then. I would assume ULE to work on amd64, but the nForce hardware may be buggering it up a bit

Been running it on one of my machines for a while now, the driver sk had a patch for some of the newer Marvell chipset based GigbitE cards, and it was not supported in 6.1. It is stable, it is fast, and so far has given me no problems at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back