Free trial of Vista

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi,
My laptop really requires a format, i would like to try Vista on it to see what all the fuss is about, does anyone know of a link where i can download a fully working HOME PREMIUM edition trail that if i like it i only need to buy a license key for it????

So basically you want free software until you have to buy it?

Pretty much, but I, like anyone else would like to sample it before parting with my hard earned cash. Remember everthing in Britain costs twice as much as in the States.

Thanks for that KCNYCHIEF, that could be handy. But i really don't mind paying for something that is what i want. I don't want to go down the torrent line but would like a trial first.

how would one get downoads for windows updates when it comes to WGA? Wouldn't it require the OS to be activated or at least have a serial number entered?

Well you can install Vista without a key and use it for (I think) up to 30 days before you are forced to activate. If you know anyone with Vista you could just borrow their disc. I think you can just buy a key from MS if you want, or if I were you I'd get an OEM/Academic Edition for about £60/£70.

Think M$ should give Vista away for free, well at least home basic as I am not willing to pay for what I see as a system that needs work still.

Yes of course driver writers also need a kick, as they have also been slow or rushed drivers.

Thats what I have come across from various reads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there are still some things that Vista needs fixed. I've had a blue screen and some lockups already and all of my hardware is ok.

But yeah, I've run Windows Vista for even 60 days on a trial. But I'm not sure of the current time period. I'm not even sure that there is a download available yet for Windows Vista Trials or anything of the sorts. I just did a quick search on Google and only came across that Vista has a 30 day trial period if you have a copy, but there are ways of extending that trial to 120 days. I think the main reason for no real downloadable trials for Vista is because of it's size.

Last edited:
Open up a command prompt (may have to open as admin) then type slmgr -rearm. This will reset the time limit and give you another 30 days. You can legally do this three times.

If you just type slmgr in command prompt you will get a list of all valid entries.

All updates are disabled with exception to critical updates. So basically its pretty unsafe to not purchase a license..

i don't know how it is with vista, but with xp security related updates are all critical, so that shouldn't be a problem

Last edited:
Hmm, I think I could download Ultimate Extras before I had even entered my product key, if anyone formats and uses Ultimate it would be great for confirmation

Hmm, I think I could download Ultimate Extras before I had even entered my product key, if anyone formats and uses Ultimate it would be great for confirmation

um, did that last night. saw the option to download dreamscene preview... duno how far that is to the full thing.

Well thats not available yet and to be honest not something I will be using on my production system until its at least stable.

Havent downloaded Dreamscene.
But anything I want to do with my Ultimate I can do.
Nothing is blocked off for me.

I will try it out....

Installed Ultimate without a key then went to Windows Update. All updates including extras were available so I guess GEN3RIC is wrong.

lol
Yeah they are available, but the updates may mess up the "trial" if they are windows updates for non-purchasers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back