Free Remote Desktop

It's called Microsoft remote desktop client..

Combined with something like no-ip.com (also free) you can connect to your PC securely from anywhere in the world.

I remember trying the Microsoft one along time ago, and had all kinds of problems and stuff. Is it as easy to use as this software, log into a site, one click access etc?

Microsoft remote desktop is stupidly easy to configure and use on both xp and vista.

Where exactly are you having issues?

VNC is inferior to remote desktop if both machines are windows based.

Microsoft remote desktop is stupidly easy to configure and use on both xp and vista.

Where exactly are you having issues?

I'm not having problems with it, I haven't even tryed it. Just about I think maybe 4 years ago i had problems setting up, couldn't connect etc etc.

So I assume it has changed...

Make sure your user account has a password. Remote desktop won't let you connect without a password on your account.

Also make sure that port 3389 is routed to your PC if you connect via a router.

you can use www.logmein.com
all you do is sign into your account and sign into your account from anywhere, and it's free...easiest one I've ever used and didn't have to open any ports or really do any configuration.

for windows. remote desktop is the ONLY sensible solution. Your data does not pass through unknown third parties, is 128bit encrypted and requires only a few seconds to setup a password on your windows account and forward a port.

Please stop recommending these other solutions without good reason. It only takes a few minutes to use the tools you already have.

Remote Desktop. Listen to Lord, he knows a thing or two.

Make sure your user account has a password. Remote desktop won't let you connect without a password on your account.

Also make sure that port 3389 is routed to your PC if you connect via a router.

LA...what about with dynamic IPs?

I personally use no-ip.com and it's windows client.

what is the difference between no-ip and logmein? I have 0 experience with no-ip and it's purely because I would not mind switching from logmein if it's not as secure.

what is the difference between no-ip and logmein? I have 0 experience with no-ip and it's purely because I would not mind switching from logmein if it's not as secure.
LogMeIn is a third-party remote access service, which means you need to have their software installed on the host PC. DynDNS and no-ip are dynamic DNS services that tie a domain name to a dynamic IP address, so you just have to remember an address like tuffgong.dyndns.org rather than a IP address.

You then use one of the dynamic DNS services in conjunction with Remote Desktop built into Windows. The host needs to be running XP Pro, Vista Business, Enterprise or Ultimate, but the client can be any of the Home editions as well. You don't need any third-party remote login software installed on either the host or the clients, and it's an end-to-end connection without an intermediary.

LogMeIn is a third-party remote access service, which means you need to have their software installed on the host PC. DynDNS and no-ip are dynamic DNS services that tie a domain name to a dynamic IP address, so you just have to remember an address like tuffgong.dyndns.org rather than a IP address.

You then use one of the dynamic DNS services in conjunction with Remote Desktop built into Windows. The host needs to be running XP Pro, Vista Business, Enterprise or Ultimate, but the client can be any of the Home editions as well. You don't need any third-party remote login software installed on either the host or the clients, and it's an end-to-end connection without an intermediary.

ty

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back