Free Page File

P

puppy22

how can i free up the Page File? is there any way to do that without having to restart the computer?

Not really ... XP uses the pagefile as efficiently as possible, and there isn't really a need to clear it at any time.

good post, netryder

now, if this user has misguidedly created a pagefile that is static, and too small, and therefore circumvented the design of this operating system, then he could go back in and both increase the size of it, and allow the os to expand it when it needs too

my recomendation, as always, 2x ram as the initial minimum, with 4096 as the maximum.

you might need to increase the initial minimum, according to your personal needs, but never decrease the initial minimum lower then 1.5, and never dissable the os's ability to make the pagefile bigger if it needs to

the sizes are x1.5 for the minimum and the system is 14 hours on without running nothing........! the only applications were the IE and for 14 hours now without stop the media player listening to online radio.....! it keep increasing by itself the PF. i made a post for that problem, i don't know if you have seen it. nobody replied.

if i try to stop WMP 9, it goes down to 200 MB of PF, and by the time i will start it again, after a few hours of play it will go to maximum and it will increase the max PF limit.

now i have 1 gig of max PF with 320MB of physical memory.....!!!!!!!!! and i remind you without running anything....!

if that is what you saying good memory management.... ok... whatever...... :D

I'm not following your exact post

are you saying that your pagefile is increasing with no programs running?

if that's what you're saying, then you have a memory leak

the page file in xp will only increase when the commit charge approaches the commit limit.

this can't happen, unless something is calling ram

obviously, this looks like a wmp 9 issue...looks like that program has gone wayward

yes that is what i am saying... there should be a leak... and i think it is the media player 9... that is the only application that running at the time..... by the way.... the PF now is 600megs and increasing.... :D

the media player is on because i am listening a radio station....

try to uninstall, and reinstall the media player

I would also try to getrid of the registry entries, when you uninstall the program.

the, when you reinstall, send it to a differant pathe then you did on this install.

hopefully, this will help

good luck

:) i did that allready and in the mean while i closed the mp9 and tried to play the radio station with the old media player 6.4 and it is working perfect....

i don't know... it might be a problem with WMP 9 .... who knows...

:D i ll use the old one from now....! :D

I don't use wmp 9...I've heard too many problems with it.

at least you narrowed your problem

welcome to this board, puppy22

hope to see more of you

i disabled my pagefile, have 382m ram and my system works very nice

yes...that's because the os is paging anyway...if you will open perfmon, you will witness more paging, not less paging, when you dissable the pagefile.

if you monitor hardrive activity, you will also witness more thrashing of the hardrive, not less..as ms has documented way back in nt.

funny...your "nice" performance is deifnately slower then if you didn't try to dcircumvent the memory management of xp, and you don't even realize this, that's how incredibly well xp has been designed

but it's your box...use whatever settings you like

hm, so where windows create the pagefile in my hd? cant find it, and my free space didnt change either...

Dealer

my recomendation, as always, 2x ram as the initial minimum, with 4096 as the maximum.

As always!?!?!?!?

You've changed this often over the progression of the My Favourite Tweaks thread!!!

(just messin with your head!) Nice to see ya

You should change your nick to "Mr. Paging File"

Hello dreamliner

yes, I guess i should change my nick
yes...along with every other website, I was at one time recomending a small static pagefile...very interesting indeed, how far our unsderstanding has come

always good to see you

don't dissappear fir so long, K?

we miss you

i know some of my physical memory is used as a page file

when i disable pagefile in my hd, dont see nothing anywhere...

some progs and games create their own virtual memory independent of the os

Ok kids, repeat after me...

XP IS A PAGING OS. THIS MEANS THAT THE OS MUST PAGE AND IT WILL, EVEN IF YOU DISABLE THE PAGING FILE. XP WILL JUST MAKE IT'S OWN PAGING FILE.

Sorry for the sarcasm and the caps, but I thought it was needed

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back