Free Open BSD

koko

Got Root?
after experimenting with windows and linux, i figured i'd give bsd a whirl.

after installation, i get no gui. am i installing it incorrectly or do i need to do something similiar to linux like enter "startx" into the command line?

my name is koko and i am a bsd n00b.:eek:

This might be a stupid question, but did you try "startx" at the prompt? That should start X if you installed it during setup.

Also, did you run xf86config or XF86Setup?

rule #1: there are no stupid questions.

actually, it never crossed my mind to even try typing startx. i just assumed since open bsd is more akin to unix, it might have a different way of starting up.

and no, i don't remember running xf86config or XF86Setup.

i'll give the startx a try. thnx. ;)

I'm not sure about OpenBSD but with FreeBSD you can setup X (along with various other things) by running the /stand/sysinstall script then choosing configure..

I would recommend using the /stand/sysinstall program to configure XFree86, its under either packages or configure for that.

And make sure if you want KDE to start, Then type startkde at the shell prompt

actually you just put
"exec startkde" into your ~/.xinitrc file
then you can type "startx" at the console to start xfree and the kde window manager

Geffy really believes in the saying "Better late than never"
tongue.gif

damn right, well if someone is searching the forums for information then at least in this thread they have the answer :D

koko said:
rule #1: there are no stupid questions.

Not True!

"Is a PC better than a Mac?" (and the inverse of that question) is a stupid question.

That question is no-where near stupid. Some people may not have ever used a Windows machine, some people may never have used an Apple Macintosh, therefore they require to ask the question.

SPeedY_B said:
That question is no-where near stupid. Some people may not have ever used a Windows machine, some people may never have used an Apple Macintosh, therefore they require to ask the question.

I only say it's stupid because of the inevitable flame wars that erupt over what, in the end, becomes a near religious debate. To ask if one is better than the other is a stupid question. A better question to ask in that way would be what makes one better.. or what does one do that the other does not.

But even those questions become flame wars in the end. (And yes, I realize I stand at the precipice of a flame war for continuing this...)

It's also like the question just asked in this tread: http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=37999.. "Is Linux Truly More Secure than Windows?".
You'll have MS religious evangelists that will disagree.. and you'll have Linux evangelists that will agree.. and you'll have decent discussions and issues raised for a while until the thread degrades into a "my logic is better than yours" flame war sprinkled in with the occasional insightful comment and mixed in with input from the BSD supporters and the rants of the MacOS users until the thread finally dives into the depths of all things with the quips from BeOS, Amiga, OS/2 people proclaiming that the world should never have let those OS's die.

It still doesn't make it a stupid question. I believe the rest of the phrase is "there are only stupid people".

I agree to a certain extent. Simply asking the question "Is a PC better than a Mac?" or vice versa is stupid, and is not going to get you any real answers.
If you've never used another operating system before and you're wondering if it might prove to be a better alternative for you, it's best to post what you use your computer most for, and what you're looking for in a "good OS." Since no OS is perfect (contrary to what some people preach), and each one has it's strong and weak points, once people know what you're looking for, it's much easier for them to give you good advise, and honest opinions in general (unless, of course, they happen to fall into the fanboy category on either side).

Old post revived :p.

If he is using OpenBSD there is no /stand/sysinstall last i checked, and i dont suggest it as a desktop in the first place.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back