Free NTFS non-destructive partition resizer?

J

JohnnyGreb

Does anyone know of a free non-destructive ntfs partition resizer? I've found myself in need of shrinking one of my NTFS partitions. No need of FAT32 support, so that's not a big deal. Something just to adjust an existing NTFS partition.

Thanks in advance.

-JG

The only program I know of that can do that reliably is Partition Magic (8). It's not free but it's worth it's price!

It will also non-destructively resize clusters too, which is handy if you've converted your FAT32 drive to NTFS (default resizes to 512byte clusters and the optimum is 4k clusters).

Non-destructively resizing partitions is pretty heavy stuff and I'm not sure if I would trust a free app if one exists. Partition Magic has been around for a while and has done their homework.

Yeah, Partition Magic is well worth the money. I've used it several times before, and it works really well.

If you really want to take a shot at a free one, you could try Ranish Partition Manager. I've never tried it, so I don't know how well it works.
Link: http://www.ranish.com/part/

don't use Ranish Partition Manager, unless you don't mind losing all your data on those partitions.

cool.gif

Originally posted by Iceman
don't use Ranish Partition Manager, unless you don't mind losing all your data on those partitions.

cool.gif

Well that settles it then ... go for Partition Magic.

Ah well, I guess it was worth a shot.
Thanks for the advice. It was only a one off thing as I usually think ahead and get my partitions right before hand. Not critical, and it be for only one time. I was just trying to avoid a reinstall since I just did it 2 weeks ago.

Thanks anyway.

-JG

Acronis Partition Expert will do it als - but it's not free ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back