Free NTFS non-destructive partition resizer?

J

JohnnyGreb

Does anyone know of a free non-destructive ntfs partition resizer? I've found myself in need of shrinking one of my NTFS partitions. No need of FAT32 support, so that's not a big deal. Something just to adjust an existing NTFS partition.

Thanks in advance.

-JG

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
The only program I know of that can do that reliably is Partition Magic (8). It's not free but it's worth it's price!

It will also non-destructively resize clusters too, which is handy if you've converted your FAT32 drive to NTFS (default resizes to 512byte clusters and the optimum is 4k clusters).

Non-destructively resizing partitions is pretty heavy stuff and I'm not sure if I would trust a free app if one exists. Partition Magic has been around for a while and has done their homework.

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Yeah, Partition Magic is well worth the money. I've used it several times before, and it works really well.

If you really want to take a shot at a free one, you could try Ranish Partition Manager. I've never tried it, so I don't know how well it works.
Link: http://www.ranish.com/part/

Iceman

OSNN Veteran Addict
don't use Ranish Partition Manager, unless you don't mind losing all your data on those partitions.

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Originally posted by Iceman
don't use Ranish Partition Manager, unless you don't mind losing all your data on those partitions.

Well that settles it then ... go for Partition Magic.

J

JohnnyGreb

Ah well, I guess it was worth a shot.
Thanks for the advice. It was only a one off thing as I usually think ahead and get my partitions right before hand. Not critical, and it be for only one time. I was just trying to avoid a reinstall since I just did it 2 weeks ago.

Thanks anyway.

-JG

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barrous