Free MMO's

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Does anyone know of any good free mmos that they have played?

FREE??

the closest thing to a FREE MMO is Guildwars
which is 1-time cost the game cost... and NO monthly subscription.

Down side: to me anyway, is there is ver limited PVP action...

Knight Online is free now. it's relatively entertaining at first..... then just becomes annoying. can't really find any "good" MMORPG's anymore that are free. and i don't really thing guild wars is a good example of an MMORPG. in fact..... don't the creators of the game even say flat out that it's not an MMORPG?

There are optional extras that you can pay for, but Anarchy Online was still free to download and play last time I looked. It's not the best game ever but it's probably the best free MMORPG I have played.
R.O.S.E. Online isn't bad either if you like the more Japanese-style RPGs.

yeah i'm not really looking for mainstream mmo's that are free, but really "FREE" from the outset. Plus japanese mmos are a good bet as long as they support english and some people speak it there.

Plus i don't want the game to take up craploads on my pc, as i'll probably be playing it sneaky-style on my work pc :)

My friend was trying to convince me to get myself a copy of WoW. I almost agreed after like 2 months, but when he asked me again yesterday he told me that there was a monthly subscription of £9.99 which totally put me off coz I'm not really into RPG games in general. :(

so you can afford that computer setup, but you think 9.99 a month is out of your price range.

anyway i think you get a free month to start with.

I think he means he's just not hot enough on RPGs to want to pay for them.

http://www.onrpg.com/ has beta lists and listings of free MMOs. A lot are intriguing, and there's always some nice advantages to getting in on the beta level, the chiefest of which is not wasting your money on a game you don't like!

I have played GW and WoW extensively (have max level characters on both), and I have to say that when you pay, you're paying for the opportunity to be in a world with other people. It's a mixed blessing; fighting others for mob respawns is no fun, but it's also a lot of fun just to bump into other people doing the same thing as you.

In GW, every mission area is instanced for just your party, but at least 90% of people in the towns you go to are headed for missions near that town anyway, so it's not too hard to find a group (unless you're a necro or a mesmer :D)

lancer said:
so you can afford that computer setup, but you think 9.99 a month is out of your price range.

Would you pay for something that you won't be utilising at all? Would you spend £120 a year and maybe play it less than 5 times in that period? :rolleyes:

err actually probably, not because i want to but more because either:

a)i forgot i was even paying for it
and/or
b)because i'm too lazy to cancel it.

Unwonted said:

You got that right. :)
I don't own any RPG games, and have only ever played such games a few times when visiting a friend (only coz he was in the middle of the game).

R.O.S.E. Online is nice too..... until you realize that it's not entirely that fun..... and you realize that you can only get a different set of armor like.... every couple levels which takes forever. and that they delete every character you have if your account was inactive for too long, which is something a pay-to-play server won't do. i really don't think Gravity thought out that game very well. i'm waiting for Ragnarok Online 2 though. that's gonna be GREAT!!! i LOVE the original Rangarok Online.

ming said:
My friend was trying to convince me to get myself a copy of WoW. I almost agreed after like 2 months, but when he asked me again yesterday he told me that there was a monthly subscription of £9.99 which totally put me off coz I'm not really into RPG games in general. :(

hmmmm Ming i gotta state mmorpgs arnt really like rpg games i wouldnt compare any game in existance that has a mmo title to it to a console game with the exception mabye of FFXI. They are kind of a cross between action game and rpg in a mass world. So they have a monthly subscription price tag for server matinance plus an up front cost. They are great fun when you get started playing them but i have been playing mmorpgs since the inception of meridian 58 or whatever (first real mmorpg) they have grown boring to me.

If you do decide to get into stuff...... Dont get addicted lol its quite easy to get addicted to these games =/. I'm currently playing a game called Second Life .... well to call it a game is odd i use it as a platform both social and development wise but as i say it is what you make of it.... For those of you interested www.secondlife.com its free for a basic account in the states dont need credit to sign up out of the states you need pay pal or credit. There is both a teen and adult grid.... Please stay on the one you belong on though hehe. Also a side note there are quite a few free mmorpgs out there....

FLYFF for instance (fly for fun)
Silkroad
Ran (still in beta i think may be free)
Gate to heaven or something along those lines
Quite a few of the titles from E-games
there are some free mmofps as well
enemy territory
america's army
War Rock (closed currently be back up on pre release in 15 days but will be free to play) very very good game i might add....
Then the community based games like second life, there.com, Oz world, some bits of active worlds, and several others.

Many titles out there are free not all are good Flyff by far would be your best bet if you like tradition mmorpgs as well as silkroad and ran..... flyff and silkroad on one hand are hard to get onto as they are widely popular and very good games :). I highly reccomend SilkRoad or SecondLife for longer time play. I say second life because most games do not hold my interest and this has for close to a year now (few weeks and im there a year woot)
Subscription fee's for second life dont exist currently unless you want them to and there is no incling taht there will be :D. They are legit and you can trust them with credit info or paypal info :)

Its free but they require it for verification. Premium accounts start at 9.95 usd with tier payments for the more land you want in game, i pay about a total of 50 usd but i choose to. Premium vs basic there is no difference either other then land ownership and a higher weekly stipend which arnt a big deal if you manage to get a job or make some content in world :D. Its quite fun and you can trade in game money for real money legitamately. If you manage to hit it big you can do quite well To :)

Petros said:

http://www.onrpg.com/ has beta lists and listings of free MMOs. A lot are intriguing, and there's always some nice advantages to getting in on the beta level, the chiefest of which is not wasting your money on a game you don't like!

I have played GW and WoW extensively (have max level characters on both), and I have to say that when you pay, you're paying for the opportunity to be in a world with other people. It's a mixed blessing; fighting others for mob respawns is no fun, but it's also a lot of fun just to bump into other people doing the same thing as you.

In GW, every mission area is instanced for just your party, but at least 90% of people in the towns you go to are headed for missions near that town anyway, so it's not too hard to find a group (unless you're a necro or a mesmer :D)

*sigh* sadly onrpg is quite out of date to often =/

I've been playing Kingdom of Loathing. It's not your traditional RPG...deceptively simple and laugh-out-loud hilarious. The commuinity is also very nice.

They have funny things in the game, like how you have to pass a small grammar, punctuation, and spelling test for the Ghost of the English Language before you can enter chat. There's also a Haiku chat channel, where you can only speak in haiku or you get banned.

Funny item names, too:

Meatloaf Helmet

This is a helmet made out of meatloaf. You feel like a Bat out of Hell when you wear it. You would do anything for this helmet (but you won't do that.)

I'm a fan of Anarchy Online seeing as how it is free to download and play. If you want all the expansion packs, you pay like $9.99 month. I've been playing it for quite a while, and it's always been enough to keep me occupied.

Sword of the New World is actually pretty fun and completely free. Kinda resembles several MMO's but has a team factor as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back