free ftp

Canadave

Junior Ranger
Hey, what's all this then? :D (First time back since everything 'sploded.)

I'm very naive when it comes to creating web space. I have 10mb free space with my hi-speed internet account. I'd like to upload some pics to it, for friends to see.

Would ACEftp be a good choice for my purposes? (Remember, I don't know much about this...just what the fine techies told me at my ISP.) Is there a better free choice?

Thanks,

Cd

another choice:

XP has a built-in FTP client. Text-based, though, not GUI. It has to be run from the command prompt.

WS_FTP is free, and nice (I tend to use this one) Download Here
Or, if you want to skip downloading software altogether, could always go to Net2FTP which is super-convenient, especially if you end up in a random location where you have download restrictions, but still need to upload stuff :D

*edit* just tried out filezilla, is pretty nice as well :)

Vector said:
another choice:

XP has a built-in FTP client. Text-based, though, not GUI. It has to be run from the command prompt.
Actualy XP has a built in FTP that is gui, simply enter the ftp address into any explorer window (in the address bar), you can specify logins and such and can then use it as any normal explorer window. Its simple if not many features

Khayman said:
Actualy XP has a built in FTP that is gui, simply enter the ftp address into any explorer window (in the address bar), you can specify logins and such and can then use it as any normal explorer window. Its simple if not many features

That's true. I forgot about that. That'll work too.

Khayman said:

Remember my comment about being naive? This sounds like it may be all I need (I have XP), but I'm not sure what you mean by "simply enter the ftp address into any explorer window (in the address bar), you can specify logins and such and can then use it as any normal explorer window".

If anyone is patient enough to explain step by step, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Cd

FileZilla is the best FTP app I've ever used, and I've tried a bunch of them!

Canadave, I'm guessing you're with Rogers internet (Being from Canada, in your name, and have 10MB webspace which is what Rogers provides). You'll probably need a bit more help than what is being provided here with trying to show your pictures. First off you'll need to make a homepage and have them coded into the page. Users just can't browse your webspace directory like they can on other ISP's provided webspace. Or just just give links out to each individual picture. I guess this all depends on how you want to show your pictures.

You could however create an account at yahoo.ca and they have a section there especially for photos... http://photos.yahoo.com/

SmartFTP is the one I use, its free and all like that, and its nice and I find easy to use as well

Kr0m said:
Canadave, I'm guessing you're with Rogers internet (Being from Canada, in your name, and have 10MB webspace which is what Rogers provides...
You could however create an account at yahoo.ca and they have a section there especially for photos... http://photos.yahoo.com/

Hey, Kr0m, were you a detective in another life? Yup, a Rogers user I am. I'll check out the Yahoo option, but I think one has to upgrade ($) in order to share, rather than just store those photos.

Thanks for the info, hose-head,

Cd
:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back