free ftp

Canadave said:
Remember my comment about being naive? This sounds like it may be all I need (I have XP), but I'm not sure what you mean by "simply enter the ftp address into any explorer window (in the address bar), you can specify logins and such and can then use it as any normal explorer window".

If anyone is patient enough to explain step by step, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Cd
Canadave you just put your info in this form ...
Code:
login:password@yourftpaddress
in like IE address bar like you were going to a website. Sorry had to use code or it would make a smiley in middle of it.

oh and my vote goes for smartFTP as well :)

Canadave said:
Remember my comment about being naive? This sounds like it may be all I need (I have XP), but I'm not sure what you mean by "simply enter the ftp address into any explorer window (in the address bar), you can specify logins and such and can then use it as any normal explorer window".

If anyone is patient enough to explain step by step, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Cd

Open up internet explorer (or normal explorer) and in the address bar where you normaly type the web addresses, type in the ftp address, such as ftp.somewhere.com, press enter and let it load. If you need to login, click "file" at the the top and then "login as" and enter your user name and password

SPeedY_B said:
FileZilla - http://filezilla.sf.net/
unlike the "built in" windows FTP, it actually works ;)
The XP one works fine if all you want to do is up and download files

Thanks a lot, Kr0m, Xie and Khayman. The web's gonna be inaccessible to me for a few days, but I'll try these suggestions later in the week.

Keep well,

Cd

Back from the dead! :eek:

OK, so the solution I arrived at was using freepgs. Worked fine...until now. Does anyone know if they 'sploded? The site doesn't load, and pics I posted on other bulletin boards disappeared.

Anyone?

David

Not sure about what may have happened to the site, but since I stumbeled across this thread I thought I should throw in my FileZilla vote. It is free, as configurable as almost any other FTP software I have ever seen...pay or free...and it works quickly.

One thing I wish were available were something like a built in folder structure cloneing or scheduled backup of a site, but for free and easy you can't ask for too much.

Take Care,
Fert

Currently use CuteFTP Pro. I never had a reason to change. I like SCP, SFTP, and regular FTP in one client.

Elroy Jetson said:
Total Commander - File manager AND ftp client!

www.ghisler.com

Can't understand why it has not been suggested here....

Total Commander needs a total overhaul for today's world. I have it. I don't like it. I'm not going to use it just for FTP.

I use UltraFXP, it's free, very reliable, fast ftp commands, and many many features... :)

Sure there was a F.T.P. thread before. I use WS_FTP95 LE or the F.T.P. module in Powerdesk Pro version 5 (OnTrack) which is excellent.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back