free disk checking utility

Taurus

hardware monkey
what's your guys' favorite utility to check disks for errors, etc?

i got this 2.5" sata hd that had some bad sectors on it and put it in an external enclosure. i did a complete windows disk check on it which took like 4 hours. then i realized it had system folders on it that i couldn't delete so i had to format it which erased the bad sector markers so i'm doing the disk check again.

sad part is i'm doing the check in a command window just so i can get a % complete instead of a vague little status bar. i figure there's got to be something better out there for this. something with more options and more info. maybe an easy way to see if this drive is going to get worse.

any tips?

Most manufacturers have their own, what drive do you have?

hitachi.

i tried their utility before. the ISO wasn't readable after burning (tried 3 times) and the other option is a floppy (no thanks). and i think i read it won't detect the drive when hooked up through an external controller.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back