Free Credit Report

vern

Dominus
Political Access
Anyone know of a legit place to get a free credit report?

I've heard of a few, but never took note.

I'm responding to warn you when you get those...evrey inquisition is actually a mark against your credit, so be judicious

You can get one free here *with a free 30 trial of Credit Monitoring*. Dunno how hard that is to cancel in those 30 days. Anyway, as perris said, any inquiry on your credit actually can lower your rating so be sure you do exactly what you want the first time.

what do u get credit reports for? just to see how well ur doing and not in debt?

themafia_69 said:
what do u get credit reports for? just to see how well ur doing and not in debt?

Well you should check your credit report at least once a year to make sure you didn't buy a house, car and have 10 credit cards without your knowledge, AKA identity theft.

bah... thought you guys were in the UK. :p
I've had a free trial with Experian's online thing. Free for 1 month then £54.99 a yr.
Not worth it for an average private individual unless you're applying for credit on a regular basis.
I'll be sticking to the £2 fee for my report.... when I feel like I need to check up on it.

I dont get why checking your own credit actually hurts it. I mean, arnt you entitled to know that kind of information about yourself? And whos to stop some company from repeatedly checking your credit and therefor hurting your score? Just seems like a silly law with no real apparent reason.... but I am sure there is one. :p

Everytime a check is made on your name/credit report it lowers your rating slightly. However, there are exceptions to this in certain circumstances such as corrections.

No company can check your credit history without going through a credit reference agency like Experian.

I don't see why checking your credit can hurt it ... but things are weird that way I guess. When banks check your credit when applying for a loan ... does that hurt your credit? To anyone who has checked their credit ... what does it actually give you? A number?

When you apply for a loan, debit card, credit card, mobile phone contract.... the companies in concern all go through a credit check on the individual who is applying.

In the UK, there is a National Credit Score, but you have to pay to find out what it is. And it has to be done through a monthly subscription as far as I know.
For the standard credit report, you are not provided any details about your rating, but rather the history of your credit within the past 6 years.

My Providian Visa Platinum card allows me to check my credit score for free through the online account management system. :)

The other one that I know of is www.annualcreditreport.com, which lets you check once a year, and Maveric already mentioned that.

perris said:

I'm responding to warn you when you get those...evrey inquisition is actually a mark against your credit, so be judicious

This is false .. I have been dealing with financial advisors and credit agencies for a number of years now. When you request a report, of your own, for you to check, you get no marks against you at all. You have a right to see what you have on your report, you requesting a report does not hurt you.

The thing you have to remember: Most of the sites that say "get a free report" want you to buy something, before they will give it to you. Go to www.freecreditreports.com and you will see what I mean .. Your best bet would be if you want one, is to call the bureaus and order one from each of them. Some sites you can get one from all three like www.truecredit.com , it will cost you about $30.00. Hope these help ...

perris said:

This is not correct. Self inquiries into a credit report do not show up as negative marks. If you don't believe me you can read the Federal Trade Commissions Fair Debt Reporting Act.

Maveric169 said:
Well you should check your credit report at least once a year to make sure you didn't buy a house, car and have 10 credit cards without your knowledge, AKA identity theft.
HEY MAN THANKS FOR THE NICE QUICK REPLY rep++ for u

http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3
This is a great site for information about credit, credit reporting, how to fix your own credit and on and on. The forum @ creditnet has some really intelligent people and responses are usually quick. Like every other forum they have thier gurus too. Hope you enjoy this site. I did.
When you talk about credit score make sure you get your FICO score for each report. That is really the number to look at. It is usually the number that is looked at when determining credit worthyness amoung other factors. Everyone has a different type credit model and requirements. You can get all three reports w/ FICO scores @ http://www.myfico.com They are not free but will show you where you stand and what is on your reports.
When you check your own credit the inquiry is considered a soft inquiry and does not count against you. Only hard inquiries count and usually one or two won't lower your score. Hard Inquiries happen when you apply for credit somewhere and you fill out a credit application. This also includes when you fill out an online application for credit as well. Hope this info helps.

leencaci

Kinda expanding on my post wrt Identity theft, ( Here is the source article http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6866768/ ).

Identity theft continues to afflict millions of U.S. consumers, according to a new study released Wednesday. About 9.3 million people were victims of the crime last year, the study says, echoing a study last year by the Federal Trade Commission that indicated 10.1 million consumers had been hit in 2003. In all, one in every 23 consumers were victims last year.

So if your not a person who check their credit, you might want to start. Here is another interesting thing. (Source http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6814673/ )

Linda Trevino, who lives in a Chicago suburb, applied for a job last year at a local Target department store, and was denied. The reason? She already worked there -- or rather, her Social Security number already worked there.

Follow-up investigation revealed the same Social Security number had been used to obtain work at 37 other employers, mostly by illegal immigrants trying to satisfy government requirements to get a job.

Also, if you have been denied credit you can request a free copy of your credit report within' 30 or 60 days (can't remember the time) The creditor who denied you is required to notify you of this in writing. They usually include instructions on how to request it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back