Free Alternative to PowerDVD

N

Not Bman

I think the title says it all.

Whats the "best" "free" dvd player for Windows.

I know VLC, and those play dvds but I mean one built for DVD's like PowerDVD

I'm looking for something thats built for playing DVD's like PowerDVD is, can be a media player, but doesn't matter.

What's wrong with VLC? Plays DVD's just as well as PowerDVD, and most other video/audio files as well. :rolleyes:

I know nothing about this software but found it doing a quick Google search. Check out AVS DVD Player 2.4.2.121 (http://www.avsmedia.com/DVDPlayer/index.aspx). It has that PowerDVD look and it also has some nice features for freeware. Personally, I use TheaterTek DVD.

Last edited:
I have noticed, that sometimes (random) dvd's or files won't work in VLC.

Such has one dvd will play video and sound (talk), but not sound (music)

and things like that once in awhile. I then use PowerDVD for those weird ones.

I don't want to use PowerDVD anymore.

If VLC is missing something it is a codec issue and can be resolved by downloading the correct codec. Gspot is a free utility that will analyse media and identify the required codecs.

Zoom Player.

Its awesome, don't let the crappy website fool you. And oddly, one of the download mirrors is this site.... :suprised:

http://www.inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_download.shtml

Similar to VLC, you need a dvd decoder. But those are not hard to come by, MP10+ has one I think and if you have nero or something installed that works too. Or you could use Purevideo if you have a Nvidia GPU.

You could install ffdshow and use WMP11.

If VLC is missing something it is a codec issue and can be resolved by downloading the correct codec. Gspot is a free utility that will analyse media and identify the required codecs.
VLC doesn't rely on DirectShow filters/codecs. It has it's own set of decoding libraries that can be found in the "plugins" subdirectory.

Anyone have views on GOM Player?

I was pointed to it and seems pretty good. It's like VLC but when there is a file or media that needs a codec it goes out and finds it by itself.

Anyone have views on GOM Player?

I was pointed to it and seems pretty good. It's like VLC but when there is a file or media that needs a codec it goes out and finds it by itself.

For some reason GOM Player just crashes and I get a Dr Watson log when I attempt to play a DVD.

KMPlayer works well, however.

the problem you're having with vlc is probably due to improper downmixing. not necessarily vlc's fault. if you have a stereo sound setup, make sure you audio device is set to stereo in xp as well as in vlc.

the best player is media player classic, with ffdshow. though development has more or less slowed to a halt, it is still one of the best, if not the best player out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back