Freaking Out

niteghost

OSNN Newbie
Must have done something really "dumb". I can't start XP Home now. I must have deleted some system files and XP is asking for it at startup.
This is the error message that I got when Startup;

Corrupted or missing File
<Root Window >\system32\hal.dll
Please copy missing file.

apart from re-installing XP home, and I do NOT have the Recovery Disk, it is in my Partition D:\ Is theere anything I can do ??

Please help and Thank You.

Boot up from your XP CD, select recovery and then recovery console

At the recovery console type scandisk /r i think it is and that will scan your windows install and replace any missing files

If you can get to a command prompt try " sfc /scannnow " .. it scans system files and replaces corrupt/missing ones.

Very interesting article. I already know about HAL from my A+ studies (I'm sorry dave, I cannot do that) but its an informative link all the same - so I think you deserve +rep Lee

Edit: Well, when I am allowed to. It says I must spread myself around a bit first in terms of rep.

No need for reps, got too many as it is. Thanks for your consideration.

Good advice in here. definitely making a note of this.
the recovery console is something id like to learn more about

thanks guys
here come some reps

Because you don't have access to any disks the only way I can think of "would be to install the drive in another system" and do the work from there.

This is where copies of the Hal.dll file are

XP (with no service pack)
"windows\driver cache\i386\drivers" = hal.dll

XP SP1
"Windows \driver cache\i386\sp1" (looks like a file cabinet) = hal.dll

XP SP2
"Windows\driver cache\i386\sp2" (looks like a file cabinet) = hal.dll

With the drive in the other system navigate to that drive to the location above (whatever one applys)

Then copy the hal.dll file to a floppy or thumb drive (just so you have a copy)
should work like copy and paste if I remember right.

Now that you have a good copy you can replace the bad one while the drive is in the other system with no problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back