Frame limiter for games?

Doom

OSNN Senior Addict
Is there a program out there that will limit the fps within my games? A good example where this would be usefull for me would be colin mcrea 4. I run all my games with vsink on. I find that when I run the game at my monitors highest refresh rate (100 hz) I get lots of slow down. The lower I set the refresh rate the better the game runs untill I get down to 60hz when the game runs completely smooth. A frame limiter would sort it so I can run the game at 60fps without having to resort to bleeding eyes having to run it at 60hz.

I think your monitor refresh ratre will stay be a factor. But hey I could be wrong.

in hl-based games u can use fps_max 60 to make it go at 60. put i really hope you dont play those games nemore :) :p

champ2005 said:
i really hope you dont play those games nemore :) :p

why? what wrong with the h based games. I still play Day of Defeat and love it. Its really is sad that a game that is so old and its mods are the most played games in the world.

i play dod aswell, its a pretty good game, its just that there are so many newer and better games out there that arent being played (relative to hl-games) because everyone is still hooked on cs/dod.

i think we should stop hijacking this thread now :)

In Quake engine based games max frames can be set with this: com_maxfps 100(or whatever you want it to be at)

Does anyone know how to do this with colin mcrea 4? I want to limit the frames to 75 but have my refresh rate at 100hrz. If it above 75 I notice quite a bit of slow down when taking certain corners. It's fine on 75hz but sore on the eyes. It runs even better at 60hz however so limiting it to 60fps would be better.

You can try going .. run -> dxdiag then to the "more help" tab and to override and pick a refresh rate you want :)

pluto said:
He wants to override Frame Rate, not Refresh Rate.

That's right. I know it can be done with some games out there. Halo is a good example. You have the option to limit the frame rate to 30fps or you can sink it to your refresh rate. Because I run my all my games with vsink on it would be handy if there was a progam out there that would do it for me or if ATI introduced something in their drivers. Another game you notice the refresh rate becoming a problem with is painkiller. It stutters alot more when I run it at 100hz but at 75 its stutter free. My eye's bleed a bit with that though. The only other option I would have is to go for a flat pannel monitor which is flicker free at 60hz but I'm not spending that kind of cash just for that kind of thing.

pluto said:
He wants to override Frame Rate, not Refresh Rate.
Oops .. posting 1/2 awake sometimes has undesired results.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back