FP: Breaking Up Windows..

Originally posted by Toric19
I believe that there are programs out there for everyone, and there would be no question of a monopoly by MS if their competitors would take the money that they spend on lawers and lawsuits in an effort to disband Microsoft, and spend it on advertising and product development so that Microsoft can be defeated by hard work and inginuity (which would better the market as a whole anyways) instead of jealousy and bitterness.

Very well said. That's what it boils down to, isn't it? It seems to be a common tactic amongst American intellectual property holders -- "If you can't beat 'em, sue 'em." Naturally, the DoJ takes a look at this and assumes something's wrong. They're trying to apply 20th-century economics to a 21st-century business model, and it just won't work. If they wanna start investigating tech monopolies, they can take a hard look at residential broadband instead. (Don't get me started there.)

MS has had broader experience in the software field than any other company; most people don't realise that a majority of the non-x86 platforms in the 80s had a piece of Microsoft code somewhere in their OS or BASIC interpreters, nor that Microsoft's been one of the Mac's biggest software developers several times in its history, even post-Win9x. MS has earned its user-base, and the billions of dollars in research & development it took for them to get it.

I also agree about OS bundles being an important launching point for new users. Most of them WILL seek alternatives when they grow more proficient and find what they use inadequate; it's not like the alternatives are difficult to find. This may not have been the case before the Internet became what it is now, but with the insane amount of software out there at this point, it's just not an issue.

Originally posted by nevadamoonlight
An operating system should be just that. An Operating System. Two of the biggest problems with Windows, especially since Win95, has been vulnerability and stability. Both of these problems will ultimatly only be solved when Microsoft stops trying to be the "be all end all" of software.

An OS shouldn't have to do anything else than be a vehicle to enable applications to make use of a computers hardware. But when you start tying all sorts of middleware into the OS you get a raft of security and stability issues. Besides, we all know the only reason that IE and WMplayer are free is because Bill hasn't killed off the competition yet. As soon as there is no competition in these areas, that free ride will be over.

Totally agree!
Stability and security should be number one.
Its no good rushing out software thats extremely buggy and has security holes all the way through, and filling it with bloatware that lots of ppl will not use. aka XP.
There should at least be the opportunity of selecting which applications you want when you install the o/s (ie: messenger and movie maker).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back