Found my first bug in Vista

Go to Reliability and Performance Monitor>View>Cutomize the "X" does not close the Window

I actually came across this a few months back but didn't realise that it was a bug. :dead:

I ran into a bug but it only happened a few times. When I went to Taskbar and Start Menu Properties> Notification Area> and when I unchecked power the volume icon went away and vise versa.

Can sum1 confirm this for me.... open task manager>performace. Look at Physical memory (MB), FREE xx. Do you guys get a very small figure? It's telling me the total being 1GB, but only 18MB free, althougn at the very bottom it says 52% (in use).

Can sum1 confirm this for me.... open task manager>performace. Look at Physical memory (MB), FREE xx. Do you guys get a very small figure? It's telling me the total being 1GB, but only 18MB free, althougn at the very bottom it says 52% (in use).
Free: 0

Doh!
Not a bug. That's Superfetch in action. :)

The percentage figure at the very bottom of the Task Manager window is the amount of memory in use by running processes. The rest of it is available to the system, so rather than leaving it unused and wasted, Vista uses it as a cache to prefetch data from the disk based on metrics that it collects over a span of time; that's what the "Cached" number represents.

Applications that you launch frequently get preloaded into the cache automatically after bootup to mitigate the performance hit that's incurred when you hit the disk. On my desktop, for instance, Photoshop launches in ~4 seconds because Superfetch now keeps it cached.

The percentage figure at the very bottom of the Task Manager window is the amount of memory in use by running processes. The rest of it is available to the system, so rather than leaving it unused and wasted, Vista uses it as a cache to prefetch data from the disk based on metrics that it collects over a span of time; that's what the "Cached" number represents.

Applications that you launch frequently get preloaded into the cache automatically after bootup to mitigate the performance hit that's incurred when you hit the disk. On my desktop, for instance, Photoshop launches in ~4 seconds because Superfetch now keeps it cached.

That's sweet. There's a lot cool stuff about Vista I still don't know.

oh ok. nice to know that. eating up more juice as a result i guess. :p

You can actually see it working if you like.
Just reboot your machine, and launch Task Manager immediately after Windows starts up. Then watch the numbers in the Physical Memory section of the Performance tab. You'll notice the "Cached" number steadily increasing and the "Free" number decreasing as the system prefetches data into memory. :)

I don't read your posts...

Err.

lol... i didnt bother reading about disabling app, full stop.

and incase people hadnt noticed, vista bashes the crap out of your hdd a hell of alot, probably because its "caching" programs. I cans it there for maybe 10 minutes after bootup with CONSTANT hard drive access. It isnt only after bootup, it sometimes decides to do this at other times as well.

and no it isnt lack of memory leading to page file use, i have 4gb and no programs running in systray.

i will be disabling this and see how much difference it makes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back