Forum Software Recommendations

Johnny said:
I use php ..

That's what I thought. I am working with my host, www.1and1.com to change my hosting package over to Linux based so I can support .PHP

Electronic Punk, or others...

Can someone give me a rough idea of how Vbulletin is for supporting? Not what you receive from them, but how stable is it, how much of a pain are certain issues, etc.?

So I'm doing some reading on Vbulletin, and found this within their FAQ...

"Once you start posting, adding threads, members, polls, private messages, attachments, avatars etc, your MySQL database space is the one that grows and should be your main concern - MySQL disk space. "

Makes sense....

Would anyone from OSNN or a similar forum that I can peep at, tell me how big their MySQL DB's are? Obviously my forum won't get as huge as OSNN, but I was wondering for exponential growth what I should look for as far as hosting.

my ipb database is 8.1mb

osnn database is huuuuuuuuuge :p

most hosts will be absolutly fine for a general forum,and not run out of space for mysql?

Henyman said:
my ipb database is 8.1mb

osnn database is huuuuuuuuuge :p

most hosts will be absolutly fine for a general forum,and not run out of space for mysql?

Well my host, www.1and1.com gives me a limit of 100MB on the MySQL DB. I read that avatars, signatures and pictures are part of that. But I later read that the only aspects of them that are part of that is the text link, so essentially it should be 100% text.

The database on shared hosting at 1and1 is way too small. The database at my forum is nearing 800MB. If you are going to be planning on growing that large, as large as OSNN, etc. ... dedicated is the only way to go.

vern said:
The database on shared hosting at 1and1 is way too small. The database at my forum is nearing 800MB. If you are going to be planning on growing that large, as large as OSNN, etc. ... dedicated is the only way to go.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. Ahh, to grow as big as OSNN, lol. A guy can dream :yowch:

your mysql database won't get past 100 meg unless you have about 6 million posts .. That is an over exaggeration, but basically true .. 100 meg is a lot of space for a database .. One of the forums I am on, we have 100 members it's been going for about 3 years, the database is around 400 meg. To have 800 meg you would have to have over 1000 members, and, you wouldn't get that over night ..

As for stability, Vbulltein is the best. Very stable, and version 3 rox ..

is what I was thinking

Link Removed: Advertising commercial services...

Last edited by a moderator:
Admiral Michael said:
Er, What does icon design have to do with this topic?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

When I got the e-mail, all I saw was

"is what I was thinking"

I thought it was a fill in the blank :laugh:

Invision power board is pretty good and easy enough to configure, the costs of hosting the site are pretty reasonable too direct from IPB, and if they host the site you get granted the licence to use the forum software for free :D

http://www.invisionzone.com/?packages

rushm001 said:
Invision power board is pretty good and easy enough to configure, the costs of hosting the site are pretty reasonable too direct from IPB, and if they host the site you get granted the licence to use the forum software for free :D

http://www.invisionzone.com/?packages

That looks good, I thought I had looked at that before but apparently not. Me likey, thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back