Formatting Problems!!?

E

eminem910

Ok, I got 2 drives.. 120 gig drive(master) and a 45 gig drive(slave)..
the 120 gig is divided into 2 partitions.. C: (112 gigs) and D:(6 gigs).. windows XP is on D: ... now..i'm having trouble starting it..and i think i need a format.. so i need to copy files..to either C: or E: ..

My main problem is.. in DOS mode.it only shows C: and D:... it doesnt show the 120 gig as a 2 partition drive..but as a 1 partition.. how can i fix this? (using xp custom bootdisk btw)

reason this is a problem is.. i want to format my 6 gig partition..not the whole 120 gig drive..with a lot of files.. =(

I will bet that you made them "Dynamic" disks. Dynamic disks are not viewable by any other operating system other than Windows XP/2000

beats me...what bootdisk should i use? my OS is windows xp.. but could i use a win2000 bootdisk?....since you say it supports dynamic disks which theoretically i have i guess

What file system are you using?
What XP version, pro or home?
What do you mean by DOS mode?
What does diskmanagement say?

There should be no need to use anything else than the Windows XP cd, no win98 or win2k boot disks.

hmm.you know what i noticed..the xp recovery console..is better than the bootdisk dos mode..=)... that might have solved my problem... i think the file system is ntfs.. using xp pro i believe... and by dos mode i mean the command prompt.. dunno anything about disk management...=\

ah heck..i wanted to copy files... from the 6 gig drive..to my bigger drive..and then format the 6 gig drive.. apparently its not that easy.. i type "copy "my documents and settings/*/my documents" c:\" but i get access denied... bah..there has to be an easier way!...lol.. someone please help.... been having no pc for 3 days...fast pc atleast with all my music...=)

xcopy is the command you want. Use the switches /e /v /q /h /o
example xcopy d:\mymusic\*.* /e /v /q /h /o

Copy is a very limited command and cannot create directories (I could go on about it's limitations)
del is very limited too.
deltree is the more advanced ver of del.

1. get into the drive (typing in D: or whichever drive) you want to copy to (using winxp boot cd/recovery consol)
2. use the xcopy with the switches
3. That should do it.

apparently i was able to use my winxp cd.. yay..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back