Formatting my HDD

Guybrush

Village Idiot
How do I format my hdd with Windows XP Home on. It is an OEM recovery disk but as I am aware it is not possible to format a HDD with the recovery disk?

I will buy the XP Home upgrade edition(I have Windows Me disk) today, so how is it done with this disk. I have the 6 boot disks also.

Any advice would be much appreciated and thank you in anticipation.

Thsi has all come about after my SP1 Installation. I cannot connect to the internet or set up my old ISP account as I get the message - "Cannot load the remote access connection manager service"

See previous thread dated 05/10/02

Thanks again

Why don't you "roll back" the system to a point before you installed SP1???

This is of course that XP is on the Machine at the moment and it boots?

remote access connection manager

is in services - make sure its set to automatic

Start / run / type in the box " services "

scroll down to remote access connection manager

this will need to be set to Automatic

if its not right click on it & choose properties

in the drop down box select Automatic

Apply
OK

Originally posted by gonaads
Why don't you "roll back" the system to a point before you installed SP1???

This is of course that XP is on the Machine at the moment and it boots?

I did but I still get the same problem. Thanks anyway

Doesn't the recovery disk set it back to how it was in the shop? Or does SP1 & other updates corrupt it? Why can't you use the recovery disk? Just wondering.

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45
remote access connection manager

is in services - make sure its set to automatic

Start / run / type in the box " services "

scroll down to remote access connection manager

this will need to be set to Automatic

if its not right click on it & choose properties

in the drop down box select Automatic

Apply
OK

Tried that also, same problem. Thanks again

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
Doesn't the recovery disk set it back to how it was in the shop? Or does SP1 & other updates corrupt it? Why can't you use the recovery disk? Just wondering.

I just did a repair from the backup disk, I didn't see a chance to set back to the shop settings. I'll try that when I get home tomorrow morning before I buy the upgrade disk.

Thanks

Don't know if it works that way, resetting everything. But when I think OEM recovery, I think fresh. :confused:

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
Don't know if it works that way, resetting everything. But when I think OEM recovery, I think fresh. :confused:

How do I go about a fresh install from the upgrade disk, as "she who is always obeyed" is driving to town as we speak to buy me an upgrade disk?;)

Boot from the windows disk, delete all other partitions, then create one partition for xp, choose format in NTFS , then it will install.

Originally posted by adek
Boot from the windows disk, delete all other partitions, then create one partition for xp, choose format in NTFS , then it will install.

Thanks adek, will the cd automatically boot up or will I need to change the BIOS. I hope not, if so how do I do it? I can feel a panic attack coming on!!

It should be already setup. If not enter the bios and the option you need is booting device. select cdrom. save and exit then it should boot. If not pm me and i will help more

Originally posted by adek
It should be already setup. If not enter the bios and the option you need is booting device. select cdrom. save and exit then it should boot. If not pm me and i will help more

The chose in BIOS I seem to remember is 1.Floppy, 2.Harddisk,3. CDROM AND 4. NETWORK or something. It says use the up and down arrows to move between them and + to select, thats the bit that confuses me. Probably better wait until I am in front of the computer, though if you can enlighten me more, any help is much appreciated.

will need to change it so that the cdrom is before the hard drive. try highlighting cdrom and push + to move it up the list.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back