• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Formatting harddisk with Win XP

S

smiller

OK then, I want to start afresh and format my hard disk and reinstall XP afterwards, however...

...I dont know how you go about formatting a hard disk with XP installed, what with there being no DOS. I only have ( and only want) the one partition, which is currently in NTFS, and I want to keep it like that.

Ive tried using the format command using the Windows Recovery Console, with and without the parameters, but after 10 seconds of saying yes to the warning, it returns to C:\WINDOWS having done nothing.

Is it still possible to use a Win ME boot disk to do it even with NTFS? Did I miss an option that lets you format the ENTIRE disk (not just replace the previous Windows installations) during setup?

Any suggestions most appreciated

P

prakbrug

Boot from the Win XP cdrom and follow the instructions. The installation itselfs will ask if you want to format the partition.

A

Altdotweb

You can get the boot floppies from www.bootdisk.com It's an EXE that will open to 6 floppies.

Load those and insert your install CD and you can wipe your drive and even partition it with these floppies.

The CD may do the same thing also, but I found that if I had a good copy of XP, booting from the CD would just load XP anyways.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix