Formatting and installing

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
I have the feeling that when I use the XP Pro cd to format and install, some of the registery entries are not erased, is this right, and if so, is there software that can be used to clean the disc of everything, including the registry entries before reinstalling?

yes if you boot from the xp cd, it will guide you through a new install, and give you the option to format the drive b4 installing the new operating system. it's resonably straight forwards. a lot of pressing enter until you see a list of your hard drives and partitions, the format option is there, it's part of the wizard so you shouldnt miss it, just keep plodding through the options :)

a quick format will tell the hard drive to erase the master file table i think, everything is still there but cannot be read as the links been broken. a full format will write out the drive. other options are low level formatting, the hard drive makers support site should have a download to test the drives and offer the low level format, it's only normally needed if a standard format is causing problems after a reinstall.

otherwise, what kind of issues have you come up against after reinstalling ?

best of luck m8

Thanks, yes I have used the CD to format and install. I used the full format option, but I still feel that some of the original registry entries are retained.

what makes you think that, whats happening with the pc ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back