Formatting 80 Gig :)

J

jam

I have a Maxtor 30 Gig as the Master and a 80 Gig that I installed today as a Slave.

I have Win XP Pro (clean installed) and in Device Manager I have those two HD with both the right amount of Gigs.

In "fdisk" I see only a 10 Gig for my new one which is a 80 Gig. With XP and 2000, partitions over 32 Gig in FAT 32 are not supported but they are in NTFS. My problem is that how can I format my new HD if I see only 10 of the 80 Gig that I have on it even using PM 7 or the Drive Manager from XP, .

My jumpers on the master are OK, on the Slave no jumpers needed and I can not format my new drive.

Let me know if you have any solutions please and thanks all for your time.

Had this happen a few months back. I tried several drives and all did the same. fdisk recognized a 10GB drive. Windows saw the full 80GB's.

Is the "new" disk really new or is part of it formatted with ntfs?

I have a brand new Maxtor. I tried with Disk Management in XP Pro and also with PM 7.

With PM 7 I can have only a 2,067 Gig to format :) and in Disk Management I can not even do anything with it.

This is what I have:

30 G Maxtor
C:\ main drive
* Extended drive
D:\ Logical drive
E:\ Logical drive

I added a 80 G and trying to format this one to have more Logical drives added for a Dual Boot with Mandrake and spaces for my MP3's...

That HD is not letting me doing any work on it. I tried formatting everything including the first HD and I can take care of the first one but not the second one , fdisk does not recognize it

I have plenty of time to play with that but I'm looking for somebody to help me ease the pain :) I'll be happy to have another way to try to do it, feel free to post it here so everybody can use the knowledge

The drive was never formatted before....

Hello open_source

Yes it's recognize and it show on my screen when I boot up also. I can see both of them and the BIOS is OK with it.

I see it also as a 80 Gig in XP Device Manager.

I got home tonight, open the computer, tried Disk Management again and it was working. I formated almost all my drives in NTFS and everything is running smoothly.

Please don't ask me how it happen coz I really don't know :)

Thanks all for your help.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back