Format Question

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
I have to format my PC and have my bootdisks ready to go BUT I don't have a floppy on this new PC, what now?

If you have SATA HDD you will need a Floppy Drive for the SATA Drivers. The XP CD does not recognize an SATA HDD.

I know how to format but I want the entire drive wiped clean before the install and since I don't have a floppy my boot disks are useless

It's not SATA to my knowledge

SATA hard drives don't require drivers. It is the controller that requires the drivers which may not be present.

Do not do a quick reformat and you will be all set as far as the drive being wiped clean. If you really want to wipe is completely clean then you would need to write 1's and 0's using a utility from your hard drive manufacturer (e.g. WD Data Lifeguard Tools).

Most newer motherboards do not require you to install drivers during XP setup.

You should be able to wipe partitions etc. to with any bootable Windows install disk these days, shouldn't be any need to dust off the old 3.5

SATA drivers, wow - I am so happy Vista sees it by default :)

you could always pick up a usb floppy drive cheap...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back