Format question

dadecamp

under worked, over paid
I have a 80 gb hard drive with C:\ being 40 gb and D: and E: being 20 gb each. I am thinking about cleaning off C: and reloading everything including windows. Can I reformat just the C:? How else can I accomplish this? D: and E: have MP's, some program files shared on a network, photos, etc. so I don't want to delete them.

Boot off your Windows XP CD. During setup, you will be given an option to install Windows on one of those partitions. Select C: and choose to format it. All files on D: and E: will be left intact.
Easy as that. :)

While you are at it think about reducing C: to 10 megs and just putting your system files and hard core programs ther. Makes for faster access.

Then make a program files directory on D: to load games and stuff that comes and goes.

To do this without data loss will probably require partition magic or a similar utility. I think windows does a destructive repartition.

If I reformat C: during the reload of XP, won't it ask what size partition to make? If so, I could make C: 10 gb as suggested and leave the rest for creating another partition later in windows, right?

One problem with only 10 gb is I share this computer with other family members and our Documents and Settings folders can only be on C: which creates a potential size issue doun the road. My Documents and Settings folder was 15 gb until I found a temporary folder with 12 gb on it! :eek: So maybe I will make it 15-20 gb

Originally posted by LeeJend
While you are at it think about reducing C: to 10 megs and just putting your system files and hard core programs ther. Makes for faster access.

Then make a program files directory on D: to load games and stuff that comes and goes.

The first part sounds good - but the second is kinda not good, if the system would crash, you would still have to reinstall some of the progs because most install in more places than the program file directory .. The logic sounds good but the intent still makes it a waste of time ..

to make two seperate partitions, with one being 10 or 20 gig then the second being the rest is a good idea though, because if something would happen and make you reformat you would still have the d: drive ..

The last several posts are correct, however you can do the 10GB partition and using it for the OS only. The problem pointed out about the disk crash and then having to re-load the games/programs etc is no different regardless of the physical/logical disk you install them on unless of course the drive fails physically. I keep my OS partition to around 10GB for future expansion of upgrades, SP's etc. If you keep the installation file (intact) in the program directory where the program is installed, the file is re-installable without much mess. The associated files can be pointed to the partition that you load the program in (IE D:, E:) therefore if the C: fails, you should only loose the registry and minor other files. You can also direct all of the "My Documents" and the like to another drive, therefore not having to be on C:.
It's all personal preference, you will see a performance increase if you load OS only on the C:, but you will have to do some "tweaking" to get everthing right.
Good Luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back