format harddrive to ntfs - not visible in Explorer

J

jason2slow

format harddrive to ntfs

i formatted a harddrive to ntfs with partition magic, and the harddrive won't show up in my computer, im running xp pro.
so what is it that im missing..?

Open partition magic again. What does PM say the format of the hard drive is right now?

it says its ntfs, the only difference between the one im trying to get to work, and the one that works, is that the one thats not working dosen't have a letter (like C: ) and dosen't have some space tahts not partitioned, does this mean anyhting?

After your format a drive oyu have to create partitions on it. Thats why windows can't see it

ok so could you quickly list the things i need to do to get it working? i don't really know how to do these things so if you could explain steps, it would be appreciated:)

Originally posted by LeeJend
After your format a drive oyu have to create partitions on it. Thats why windows can't see it

Isn't it the other way round? You create partitions and then format them. ;)

I'd look in diskmanagement if the drive shows up there and try to assign a drive letter to it.

ok so how do i assign it a letter? and how do i change like harddrives and cdrw's letters?

So the drive is visible in diskmanagement and says it is formatted in ntfs?

To change driveletters, highlight the drive, click Action in the menu, click 'all tasks' - 'change drive letter and path'
Remember that you can only assign drive letters that are not in use. So if you want to swap driveletters between d: and e: you would first have to assign a random letter like z: to drive d:, then rename e: to d: and last z: to e:

sorry im asking so many questions, but umm where is disk management? do you mean device manager?

Right click your "My Computer" icon - Manage - Disk Management

thanks i can see it now in explorer, also, if i refomat the drive with windows on it, will there be anything i have to do again?

if you uninstall windows on your partion, the partion will stay. the data would still be on part of your hard drive. if you reinstalled windows, it would automatically give it a drive letter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back