Format FAT32 without Windows Utilities?

F

fusion260

I have an MP3 player that requires the drive (40gb) to be FAT32, yet it was accidentally formatted into NTFS.

Windows's formatting utilities via right-clicking on the drive or the MMC do not list FAT32 as an option, and ParitionMagic won't even list the device, even though it is connected.

Does anyone know of any other utilities (Windows or dos based) that can format a drive in FAT32?

TIA

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
Do you want to format or just change the file system?

Whatever it takes to get it back to FAT32 in one maximum-size partition.

XP's command window's "diskpart" cannot read this device as a "drive", but does list it as a "volume". However, it cannot format anything based on a non-drive listing.

Right-clicking on the drive in My Computer brings up blank dropdowns, and the MMC has the partition options greyed out...

I'm guessing because the drive is in a locked state.

Use AEFDISK with a command like "aefdisk 2 [or whatever number your drive is] /delall". That will delete the partitions and allow you to format the drive to whatever you like.

But I've never used AEFDISK on a removable device before...maybe it will work.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back