• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Forgot Windows Vista Password

Gigabot

OSNN Senior Addict
I can login to Windows Vista as Administrator by swiping my fingerprint but I forgot my password. Is there anyway I can find out what password I have on there? Something I can install to figure it out?

Gigabot

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi EP! Thanks for the quick reply. The thing is that when I start the computer the Fingerprint Reader isn't detected, so I can't swipe my finger and login and I don't remember the password to any account either. When I go to my second hard drive on Windows 7, it can detect my Fingerprint Reader and login.

vern

Dominus
Political User
I'm going to try Offline NT Password & Registry Editor right now. Just finished burning the ISO to the CD.
I'm interested to see if this will work. I know there are programs that just wipe the administrator password, but I tried doing what you are trying to do with an XP machine and I couldn't find anything to do it reliably.

Gigabot

OSNN Senior Addict
I'm interested to see if this will work. I know there are programs that just wipe the administrator password, but I tried doing what you are trying to do with an XP machine and I couldn't find anything to do it reliably.
I tried changing the password with it and even blanking it but it didn't work.

bmclaughlin

Let's break something.
We do this pretty regularly at work. There are lots of different tools out there... some work better than others.

We have 4 different ones at work and haven't run across a computer that none of the 4 would work on.

Gigabot

OSNN Senior Addict
We do this pretty regularly at work. There are lots of different tools out there... some work better than others.

We have 4 different ones at work and haven't run across a computer that none of the 4 would work on.
Can you mention any of these tools? :)

So far I tried LoginRecovery.com, And the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor with no luck.

dz2k

OSNN Junior Addict
^^i think vista does disable that "Administrator" account. well, hopefully because if not ill have to do it myself for security.

vern

Dominus
Political User
The user you initially setup has administrator rights, so what is the difference if you are logged in as the administrator user or a user with administrator rights? None I think, unless something specifically gives rights to the administrator user and not the group.

bmclaughlin

Let's break something.
Can you mention any of these tools? :)

So far I tried LoginRecovery.com, And the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor with no luck.
I'm not sure which ones we have... and I'd have to reboot my machine and hope it tells me the name when it's running.

All I know is I have one labeled 'sata' because it's the only one of the four that sees sata drives. Try a few... I believe Hiren's has several different tools to try.

Last edited:

Gigabot

OSNN Senior Addict
I'll try what tdinc suggested. To answer perris, and Admiral Michale, you can't access Administrator in through safe mode to change password. I think you can do that with Windows XP though. Thanks for helping me guys, I appreciate it!

Shamus MacNoob

Political User
Update for me it does not seem to want to write to disk, this might be because the machine in question is using 2 x sata in raid... not sure if this is why I cannot write to disk, I will fiddle some more

I use winpass -u accountname and I can see the accounts just dont seem to be able to change them

Gigabot

OSNN Senior Addict
Solved! My bro had registered an Admin account and remembered his password today. I entered it in and then I got a BSOD. I had to go into safe mode and use System Restore to restore back to normal. I'm finally back on my HP HDX 18! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies