Force the use of the new Start menu?

Mainer82

Binary
I'm trying to find a reg hack that forces the use of the new Start Menu. I haven't been able to find one yet. Has anyone else?

I not sure a reg hack exists for this. Why don't you simply setup the Default User on the machine to use the start menu you want and then use the group policy editor to deny access for people to change the display properties.

I have done the default user. I just want the option to deny users from even choosing this option. GP does not have this option. There must a be a hack for this. :/

This setting effects the presentation of the Start menu.

The classic Start menu in Windows 2000 allows users to begin common tasks, while the new Start menu consolidates common items onto one menu. When the classic Start menu is used, the following icons are placed on the desktop: My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, My Computer, and My Network Places. The new Start menu starts them directly.

If you enable this setting, the Start menu displays the classic Start menu in the Windows 2000 style and displays the standard desktop icons.

CHECK THIS OUT>>>
If you disable this setting, the Start menu only displays in the new style, meaning the desktop icons are now on the Start page.

THIS IS ALSO IMPORTANT>>>
If you do not configure this setting, the default is the new style, and the user can change the view.

The user might SEE the option to change the style, but will be UNABLE to change it.

Ogden2k said:
I have done the default user. I just want the option to deny users from even choosing this option. GP does not have this option. There must a be a hack for this. :/

As said earlier, you CAN do this from gpedit.

1. GPEDIT.MSC (Start--Run--GPEDIT.MSC)
2. User Configuration--Administrative Tempates--Control Panel--Display--Desktop Themes

No, not the themes. I'm talking about the Start Menu, classic vs the new XP menu. I do not want users to select the old start menu. I can't find a way to disable this...

why on earth would u wanna use the new style menu in xp, its awful.. and if users prefer it that way, why not let them select themselves?

its possible too do it gpedit :rolleyes:

Ogden2k said:
No, not the themes. I'm talking about the Start Menu, classic vs the new XP menu. I do not want users to select the old start menu. I can't find a way to disable this...

You obviously don't look very hard. Every aspect of the Windows Desktop can be locked via gpedit. If you are talking about changing the start menu by right-clicking on it, choosing start menu, then choosing classic, that can be locked as well.

GPEDIT-->User Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Start Menu and Taskbar--> Prevent changes to taskbar and Start Menu settings

Or, to force the style that you want:

GPEDIT-->User Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Start Menu and Taskbar-->Force classic Start Menu (Disable to force new style).

Just look around GPEDIT dude.

Thanks, but I tried that option and it does not work. I'm not an idiot, I think I know how to run Group Policies. That's why I am asking here. Obvisouly it's the wrong place to ask.

Group policy is the only way to accomplish what you want. Since the task settings are not controlled in the registry, there is no registry hack. The question I would ask myself is why isn't the group policy editor working? Essentially, it should work fine. Here are some things to consider:

GP in Windows XP only affects non-administrative users. This means that if you set that option (administrator), you can still perform the requested task since you are the administrator on the machine. Try setting the option and logging in as a non-administrative user.

No one here is calling you an idiot. It's just that we know what you are trying to do and are trying to give you the help you requested. If you are say you know and understand something, then that's great. But, you should also know that just because you do know something doesn't mean that you can't learn more about that something.

If you would like me to help you walk through the steps in accomplishing what you are trying to do, feel free to IM me.

Reg said:
GP in Windows XP only affects non-administrative users.

That's not true. Group policy settings are global, they apply to all local accounts regardless if admin or limited.

Disabling the "force classic start menu" policy should work according to the description. It doesn't work for me as well. Seems gpedit only can force classic but not the new menu.

It only affects my non-administrative users. But then again, I did change the settings on it. I guess that by default, it does affect admin. But anyway, it works for me here, so I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you two.

Sorry, I'm a annoyed by this because I tried this with GP and I've tried all user groups, it doesn't take effect. Other settings do. Just the options that I found and that you listed off do no disallow the user to change to the classic menu.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back