For those who are annoyed with

Heh, funny. I'm losing respect for apple more and more often (not that I ever had much) for their cheap shot marketing. That aside, funny video though. It is a very annoying "feature" good thing its easily disabled.

Heh, funny. I'm losing respect for apple more and more often (not that I ever had much) for their cheap shot marketing. That aside, funny video though. It is a very annoying "feature" good thing its easily disabled.
Same with me,
I have 0 respect for apple now.
I never had more than an ounce of respect for them anyways :)

I want someone to make a virus for mac...

Whoops, QT is disabled on my Windows box. *shucks*

Honestly, I don't really find UAC very intrusive anymore.

I'm not a fan of the double-prompting that happens sometimes though, especially on file operations. I also find the background flickering very distracting (caused by a display driver issue), so I disable Secure Desktop, but not UAC completely.

The problem is that when you're first setting up Vista, you're busy installing all your drivers and software, and since most of these operations alter important parts of the system, you see the UAC elevation prompts coming up very often.

Once you've got everything set up, you shouldn't really be seeing elevation prompts all the time though.

1) If you're being prompted often when performing file operations, it means that you're trying to change something in a directory that you don't have ownership over. If it's not an important system directory, consider changing its ownership. I took full ownership of my entire second physical drive because it only contains my own user data. No more UAC prompts for file operations unless I'm touching system folders. :)

2) If you're trying to change a system setting (launching regedit, for example), and you see a UAC prompt, this is good behavior. This is what prevents malware that's running under your credentials from making damaging changes to the system without your consent. In XP, everyone ran with admin privileges, which was perhaps less "annoying" to some extent, but also far more insecure. Most people really don't make system changes all that often though, so as I said, after the initial setup is done, these prompts should become less frequent.

3) If you see a UAC prompt when you launch regular applications, it's happening because (a) the application needs to access a system directory, the HKLM registry hive, or make some other system-wide change for some legitimate reason, or (b) the application is poorly designed and is probably trying to write user data to HKLM or Program Files when it should be using HKCU or AppData instead. In the latter case, send an email to the software vendor and ask them to fix it. As Vista goes mainstream, more software vendors will start doing things the correct way, rather than the sloppy way, which XP quietly allowed them to get away with.

Besides these three broad scenarios, you should not be seeing elevation prompts very often if you've set up things properly.

Leave it to you NetRyder to dissect it down to it's most intimate and oh so boring parts. :D

The videos are quite amusing none the less. :p

Leave it to you NetRyder to dissect it down to it's most intimate and oh so boring parts. :D
If this thread were in the Humor section, I probably wouldn't have. :p
But since it's in the technical section, I thought I'd tell people how to make UAC less annoying without disabling it completely.

I have to admit that this particular ad was quite amusing though. :D

I thought the ad was quite funny, and NetRyder I am glad they've made UAC more friendly. The ad I think reflects more what UAC was back on the public beta versions.

I think the ad is awesome, wondering if it will actually get aired or not. Having run Windows Vista (RTM, not the earlier RC's) I have to say that I still dislike the way the UAC works. Number three that you pointed out NetRyder is a major problem, and will continue to exist, as for business I have had to run rather outdated software, that is proprietary to the company and has not seen an update since 1999, right before the y2k scare.

I have also seen the UAC quite a bit especially with to file permissions, if I run a program and it has no permissions to go into a certain directory (.NET application I wrote for class), it should throw a System.Security error, and not give me a dialog for each bloody access to something I am not allowed to access, this is especially a pain when writing networked applications in .NET as on the Vista machines at school no-one had Administrator access. We never did in XP, but in XP it would throw an error instead of thousands of dialog boxes.

I like the improvements Windows Vista has made over Windows XP, however for my needs and the needs of the school, we are back down to 2 test machines running Vista, the rest are back to Windows XP because of complaints from users. Software has to be updated, and before that happens it can be a while.

Sorry to go off into a rant, Windows Vista unfortunately has made it harder for a mixed environment to develop on machines that are locked down, at least harder than before. Especially also in references to game development and testing.

My preferred environment is FreeBSD with Xorg and Xfce 4. And my second for when I just need stuff to work, Mac OS X.

Now, in reply to people asking for viruses for the Mac, look around, there are plenty. Question is, how viable are they for distribution, for example, a worm would not do much good, as the only ones that allow root access, have to be executed by a user in some way shape or form. The month of apple bugs is over, however it contains many examples of how it could be done.

As for the two people saying they have lost respect for Apple, all good and well, really not needed in this thread, off topic, and flamebait. I know, I know, trolling is fun, however it just detracts from the overall topic, and makes it less fun to read. If all it takes is an advertisement to make you lose respect, I suggest some very good reading, from the Microsoft Get The Facts campaign, now that is some straight up bull**** marketing.

NR, the big question is, did you disable it and leave it disabled? =]

Honestly, I don't really find UAC very intrusive anymore.

I'm not a fan of the double-prompting that happens sometimes though, especially on file operations. I also find the background flickering very distracting (caused by a display driver issue), so I disable Secure Desktop, but not UAC completely.

<useful stuff snipped for sanity reasons>

Actually, I thought NR's article was good - especially since I haven't upgraded to Vista yet (a crime I know) and it has useful info.

I plan to build/get a whole new rig as I want to make it future proof and I'm not sure if Vista will run at its best on my 1GB 3.2Ghz Prescott comp, but I've got a new car to think about that first, so it will be a little while before I get vista.

These commercials are funny, ill admit that, also Mac basically states that it is not for people who want to be productive :).

What annoys me, is that all they say (90% of the time) is the no virus stuff...
There aren't any viruses because people buy macs software at much more price...
And people don't care enough to infect Macs :)

Although funny, I found it just as annoying if not more annoying than the UAC prompts. :p

These commercials are funny, ill admit that, also Mac basically states that it is not for people who want to be productive :).

What are you talking about? I run my own business on Macs alone.

I'm glad that Vista has UAC, and it should be much less intrusive as you get past the setting up of things and into the regular daily use.

Many businesses are 100% mac based and turn out some amazing stuff. It really comes down to what does what you want to do best?

For me the primary use of my PC is gaming. Macs don't game as well as PC's so I don't see a need to get one.

If I was into serious web development, graphic design or what have you, I'd probably jump for a mac.

Apple just needs to loose its holier than thou attitude and start pushing its real advantages to people rather than trying to start a religion.

What are you talking about? I run my own business on Macs alone.

I'm glad that Vista has UAC, and it should be much less intrusive as you get past the setting up of things and into the regular daily use.
Hey, im not the one that said it.
Mac said that computers are great for the boring work, like numbers, and word processing and business stuff..
Macs are good for fun stuff, and i dont know what your business is, but if its music/video/fun stuff, then yes, mac is for that :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back