For those of us that have driven Toll highways

I have riden it before, but when my parents were travelling between New Jersey (where I grew up) and Maine (where they retired). I was a kid then, but was well aware. There were also tolls wrt the Garden State Turnpike, aka New Jersey, as well as (I think it was the George Washington Bridge), albeit only heading in 1 direction.

Yes they suck, and worse when the politicians lie about it. In the case of the Garden State Parkway, they told the voters the tolls would only remain in place till the cost of buildign the road was payed off. They lied. The road has long since been payed off, but the tolls have remained and don't ever look to be taken down. Due to this, the voters naturally aren't so ready to trust the state government when they say "it will only be temporary" wrt making money, and as such tell them to forget it every time such a proposal is made again.

Course, with politicans and the government, once they get used to any revenue stream, would they ever really get rid of it, even if they promised when it came up to a vote? Not really...

I use the Mass Pike excessively, but I have a Fast Lane Pass which a company I worked for years ago still pays for :p

That site is a bit funny, but kind of hard to believe. I suppose I can see the change ones working, but there is a red light/green light after your change has been read, and I don't see how that's effected by a piece of paper.

That guy is l8m3 :)

Son Goku said:
In the case of the Garden State Parkway, they told the voters the tolls would only remain in place till the cost of buildign the road was payed off. They lied. The road has long since been payed off, but the tolls have remained and don't ever look to be taken down.
Sounds like the NY State Thruway. After the road being paid off the toll was to be dropped, instead it was made permanent and tolls almost doubled. :D

kcnychief said:
I suppose I can see the change ones working, but there is a red light/green light after your change has been read, and I don't see how that's effected by a piece of paper.

That guy is l8m3 :)

Try it out :) because i was wondering the same thing.

So I guess we've all learned a valuable lesson here: if you need to steal, don't steal from an impoverished, badly-managed government agency. Steal from Mariah.

haha - Classic!

celticfan11 said:
Try it out :) because i was wondering the same thing.

bah, I went through the Turnpike a few times over the weekend, just used my Fast Lane :smoker:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back