foobar or winamp

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
im not asking which is best - just curious as to what people use, as it seems to boil down to these two on windows

I used to use Winamp, but i became tired of all the bloat and the politics behind it.
foobar on the other has is a cleaner interface and does what its supposed to.

I use media monkey as my itunes replacement. the free version does what i need it to.

my 2 cents i would go with foobar or one more thing, you can still use shoutcast which is a plus

yes im test driving it under johnny's recommendation - just getting annoyed with all the different dll versions different skins require :(

edit: shame it wont show any album art even though its embedded in the file :(

Last edited:
foobar is a more customizable. That is the main thing I like about it. Album shows pretty good on mine, carpo. It all depends on how you set it up. I do agree that it does get annoying when themes will only support a certain version. Above all though, I like foobar a lot better than winamp.

Out of the box Winamp is probably the easier one to use. I have both installed. I'd say that 99% of the time I use foobar2000. I don't need album art or extraneous garbage that most people find oh so lovely. I find that wasteful. You can get that stuff with foobar2000 but you have to know how to set it up right. I have a simple and old-style foobar2000 layout which is exactly what I want and like.

found the album issue just need a .jpg in the folder - its just a pita that a lot of things don't support 0.9.5+ as panelsui doesn't seem to like it :(

foobar FTW! :smoker: (and when myself an Lord say it that definitely means FTW!)

shame freedb still sucks a goats todger :( it wont find all the tags

I don' use it to find tags. Usually, what I do is tag my music with tag&rename. I also name all my covers "folder.jpg", as it seems to be the one that is recognized easier.

yes but when you have lots of files i cant be arsed to go through each album and manually do it, i believe i tried that tag and rename before didn't help

tag&rename is the best one to use. There is so much you can do it with. It takes me like a minute to tag an album where as doing it manually could take an hour.

Of course, if you don't want to pay, thegodfather is a good one to use ..

what about musicbrainz - they have a tagger don't they ?

I never heard of musicbrainz. I'll have to look into it.

right - sorted

foobar - if that cant find the tags - striped down install of winamp - if that cant find the tags - musicbrainz :)

When I rip my discs I always have the filename be <artist> - <album> - <track number> - <track title>. I use Exact Audio Copy for ripping since it's hands down the best. I then convert from the WAV to mp3 using BlueRazorLame and the latest LAME codec. Yes, I know I could convert directly using EAC but I don't. I like having more control when I use BlueRazorLame in a secondary step. Lastly, I quickly run the file through Dr. Tag which used to be a great program until the company was bought by someone else. Since it was bought about 3 years ago they pulled down the forums and there has not been a single update. Nonetheless, the older Dr. Tag 3.00.2 (build 172) which was a beta-type build works beautifully. It takes my already configured filenames and tags my mp3s with both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags. Given the speed of my system I can have to fly through a lot of files very quickly.

I'm sure some will consider my method slow but it works for me and it really isn't as much work as it sounds. It takes me no time at all and with their being an Explorer shell-extension it's cake to tag entire folders & sub-folders.

I've tried other tagging software due to my great hatred toward the company that took over Dr. Tag development but at the end of the day I find myself returning to Dr. Tag because it's so easy and powerful and gets the job done with no extra effort.

Lastly, I know some people don't put the artist name and album title in their mp3 filenames but I do this because it means I can move files around and always know the exact file. I have all my music grouped in sub-directories from A to Z in terms of the artist name so each letter has it's own directory. I also have one directory that is 0-9 since I don't have many bands like that. I then have a sub-directory per artist name and sub-directories for each album from each artist. It makes keeping things organized easier and that is definitely needed with 120 GB of mp3s on a HDD.

Once you take care of tagging both foobar2000 and Winamp are both viable options. As I said earlier, Winamp is the easier of the two out-of-the-box. Foorbar2000 takes some more thinking. Both are very functional. With the right settings both sound very nice. Personally, I prefer the simplicity of foobar2000 and the only DSP I use is Resampler (PPHS).

Below is just how simple I have foobar2000 set up. I don't want to sit and stare at it so There's no need to make it all pretty.

Attachments

• foobar2000.jpg
    foobar2000.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
yes i have started to use eac - nice cd ripping to ipod setup i have now :)

Eac the bomb, it is the best ripper out there ... Eac also has a pretty good tagger in it as well ..

Rotjong,

Can you send me that theme? For whatever reason, I haven't been able to get mine to do that. I should probably spend some more time with .9x releases...

Rotjong,

Can you send me that theme? For whatever reason, I haven't been able to get mine to do that. I should probably spend some more time with .9x releases...

Theme attached.

I exported it and zipped it up. I believe this should work. I've never exported or imported a theme before. I did very minor tweaking of the colours from the default installation to get things to look like my setup. I don't believe I changed the font. I did do some work on the Window Title, Status Bar, and Notification Area Icon Tooltip. I carried over as much as I could from the older versions of foobar2000.

Attachments

• Simple Black Theme.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 75

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back