Folder view settings.....Please help me!

J

Jason Roberts

Hi all! Did ya have a good xmas?

I am currently having a problem with my installation of Windows XP Home Edition.

XP keeps playing around changing my folder view settings which also changes the views as well.

This is driving me nuts. Attached is the pic of the root of my J drive which is my Temp drive.

See, My Pictures? in the root of one of my drive...??? how come!??? I did not change anything...I just used XP default view...but this one is not default, I should see a plain folder, not a My Picture view settings.

This is not my only folder misbehaving...I have tonnes of other folders that changes its own view settings.

If anyone asks me to do a clean reinstallation...I have on a couple occisaions!

If anyone asks me to reset the folder view settings, I have...but this deverts back to its own favourite look!

Thanks everyone in advance...will be happy to take the rountine you give me! :D:D:D

I think this is normal.. when xp detects pictures or music or videos it puts the right setting?? but wierd it should keep changing back... try right clicking on the folder itself and change the folder type in the last tab

Originally posted by Leo154
I think this is normal.. when xp detects pictures or music or videos it puts the right setting?? but wierd it should keep changing back... try right clicking on the folder itself and change the folder type in the last tab

I have tried that!! But it does not stop! :mad:

okay... m8 i can feel your rage all the way here... and i'm in cairo!

This time i think i have it.... go to ^Tools >> Folder Options... in the second tab scroll down to remember each folders view settings... make sure its ticked...

Please do tell what happened

This may help:

Backup these RegKeys just in case.
1:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
2:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
Now after you have backed them up, delete them from the registry. Restart windows to take effect.
This resets everything to the default. Now you can change each folder and the setting will stay (at least for a while).
It seems that by default XP remembers only 400 folder settings. You can increase this number by adding a D-Word called BagMRU Size with the value 000003e8 (or decimal 1000) to these registry keys
1:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
2:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

Originally posted by yoyo
This may help...

Thanks for your assistance...

I will see how if XP behaves now...

Will give feedback on how it goes.

It seem to be working after trying yoyo's solution! Thanks Yoyo.

Damn! I checked how many folders I had! I had like 5000 folders so, I increased your suggested number from 1000 to 10000. No problems!

After a week...I will post again with another feedback.:D

So.. so you mean i didnt help?? for the first time i thought i had helped.... :(

Originally posted by Leo154
So.. so you mean i didnt help?? for the first time i thought i had helped.... :(

You did, Leo. But your solutions has been done before, but the problem persists so I am trying yoyo's solution.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back