Folder Troubles

M

mrleeg

Hello

I am running Windows XP Professional and I have encountered the following problem.

In windows to my knowledge it isn’t possible to create a folder that ends with a ‘.’. While I was using Trillion Pro (a chat program) I received a file from a friend whose nickname ended with a ‘.’. Now this file was placed my specified download directory and it had my friends nickname as the title (somehow trillion was able to make this folder I still don’t know how). Anyway now when I try to access the folder that ends in a period(be it open, copy, rename, delete etc) I get the following messages.

D:\…… - refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted or you are connected to the Internet or your network and then try again. If it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different location.

Cannot Delete File - Cannot read from the source file or disk
Cannot Rename File - Cannot read from the source file or disk

In responce to the DOS suggestion
===================================================================
I tried to delete it in DOS and DOS cannot find the folder title even when it shows up under the dir command aka I get the CANNOT FIND FILE error message when a delete is attempted
===================================================================

I have tried running scandisk at startup this does nothing. Any help would be appreciated. I would like to delete this file off my computer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help

-Lee

probably have to dlete from dos ....i believe thats an illegal character

Open a command window and navigate to the directory this folder is in. Now type DIR /x . This will give you the 8.3 names of files and folders. Try this name to delete. If still no luck, close explorer from the taskmanager (end process explorer.exe), leave task manager open and try this command in the command window
RD \\.\C:\DOWNLO~1\UNDEL~1 /s (replace C:\DOWNLO~1\UNDEL~1 with the path of your folder to delete using DOS names. The /s switch removes everything inside the folder and the folder itself. ).
Start explorer again in task manager. File - New task - explorer.
Hope it works.

Just saw you're new here. Welcome to NTFS.org :D

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back