Folder in xp inaccesible

Kush

High On Life!
on a friends pc when xp home edition turns on it just freezes at the welcome screen. after i installed professional for her as a second operating system i found that the user folder in documents and settings called "xp" was inaccessable i said that it was not able to open it and maybe its being used, and its not. so how can i fix this? was it a virus? or what. cuz she has alot of pics that i need to get back for her. i didnt get to finish the virus scan cuz i had to run but what the hell happend this only happend this morning, she told me yesterday night everything was normal she dissconnected from the net and then shut down. this morning it started happening

Is the file system NTFS?
If it is:
first...
try chkdsk /f... it will run the next time the system boots
second...
try disabling simple file sharing... it's in folder options...
then right click the folder, go to the security tab, and enable full access for "Everybody"
If it is fat32....
chkdsk /f is a good way to go...
if that does nothing, then at least you can boot up dos from a win98 floppy and copy them manually.
Hope this helps.

its ntfs and well i have a working operating system on there now im just trying to get her pictures back

In ntfs you remove the simple file shareing and then go to the folder in question and change the owner on the folder, its in the security tab , advanced settings, you should make the owner the one account your using , you can add /remove the people who have rights to the folder, make sure you give all permissions to that account and administrators , by adding the accounts using the add / advanced and then search in the directory to find the accounts you want to add , by default winxp gives everyone access this is a very unsecure thing to have on a system, I wont go into all the details but the root accounts need to be password protected and make sure you dont give permissions to everyone, when you have taken ownership of that file and all sub's you will see a little check mark for that folder and all contains below meaning the sub folders as well, I suggest you do this on the c: drive and any other drive on that machine gain full ownership of all files and subfolders on all drives than make sure that all the permissions for the "everyone" is removed from all drives

cpugeniusmv said:

Right that is exactly what I was talking about and after you have ownership of all the harddrives leave only the administrators(password protected) group ( added from the directory ) and the account your using ( password proteced ) and then remove that default everyone , if you see System as a group thats fine , and Owner creator also , but any others should be removed all together..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back