Foam head on beer. Serious problem!

Definatly temperature related!

Beer should be kept in the fridge for 4 hours per pint ideally.
Obviously swhould be allowed to settle.

Pour at 45 degrees, twisiting the glass upwards slowly as your pour. For reasos of hygeine, the pump should never touch the glass you know! Pour slowly to beginw ith then speed up, a good head is actually important and up north we have an extra inch on the pint glass to allow for the head. Southerners don't need it, as they all drink shandy.

You should see me open a bottle of wine... bam!
- The Barman.

Excuse me for laughing - but I have seen seven (if I counted correctly) replies from the 'motherland" and somehow I could not understand how ya'll ever expected to pour "pi$$ warm" beer into a glass without an excess of head.

Now EP mentions temperature - ah - yes that is the key - but I had to beg the barman to keep a few cans of Black Label Lager in the fridge for me when I was stationed in England.

Of course, when it came out of the fridge - all the blokes marveled at the "fabulous head" I had!:cool: :cool:

Only kidding - on my last trip (Oct 2001) I was pleasantly surprised to see cold lager and also I didn't have to beg for more than two minature ice cubes in my Barcardi and coke! My brother-in-law has gotten to the pojnt where he wil not drink a mixed drink without ice!

its only the traditional beer thats pi$$ warm, and to kill the myth, the beer is kept in the beer celler and it is less than room tempreture. i have been in the pub all day testing this theory :cool:

conclustion

funked if i know so i will try again next week :happy:

GoNz0 - glad to hear you have not reached a conclusion - by all means continue testing next week and the following week and the following week and the following week, etc!
:D :D :D

I was at a free bar last night. That means the beer was free... :s

It was going off the fridge shelves so quick it was still warm, still got pretty hammered tho.

i thought you wash the glass with warm water and it stops the bubbles

:) just stick with milk ... ask henyman he knows where to get bootleg milk:)

i can sell you milk real cheap;)

/me becons to a a dark alley:eek:

Stick head under "tap" of "keg", open mouth, pull lever, drink/chug... who the hell needs a glass. :rolleyes: :cool:

Too much talk about how to GIVE proper head, and not enough talk about how to RECEIVE for me....

What did she say? "Let go of my ears, I know what i'm doing." :p

Formula for correct pouring of beer (canned) according to this thread.

y = Angle of glass
x = Angle of can
t = Temperate of beer
vp = Pouring Velocity
gt = Glass temperature
gc = Glass cleanliness (inside fluidity(glass) surface resistance, a PhD subject on it’s own)
rt = Room temperature (ambient)
o = Height of beer foam of “head”

It must be stated that this is only a “rule of thumb” equation, as beer type and alcohol content (especially suspended sugars), distance from beer ejection from can to glass surface (here considered to be a constant so ignored), effects of static electricity (nylon carpets etc) on all the above variables, effect of users hand raising temperature of glass and reduction (as beer poured), atmospheric pressure, standing waves caused by the playing of music (ever noticed how beer served in the vicinity of Led Zeppelin concert is always flat?), etc etc.

Right then lets define suggested optimums, EP recons that 45% is correct for the positioning of the glass (in relation to the stream of beer sometimes rotating) this would indicate that if using a can the relationship between the static glass and (now) moving beer-can angle (as he is pouring from a static pump which is not a variable) can be expressed to mean that as the glass fills up the (actual) angle between the beer in the glass and the can will change (because you are having to move the can to maintain the 45% relationship). This will result in a modification to our formula to include an angular velocity (which to keep it simple will be in direct relation to pouring velocity (vp)) so as not to introduce another variable. This means that as the can empties the flow rate must remain constant (this will actually produce an acceleration in the beer can angle as it empties). We are going to define this variable as “p” and by it’s nature it will also be a constant (logarithmic? can’t remember). Anyway we have also omitted the rotation of the earth and the moons position (these will have an effect but so small we can ignore then here).

Also remember that we are pouring the beer onto the glass and not into the beer inside the glass that is whilst the “head” produced is largish. This will result in the glass temperate decreasing in relation to the difference between the beer temperature and the glass temperature (normally) as it’s poured (this is actually a horrific equation on it’s own). If no head is produced then we must pour the beer directly into the beer already into the glass in order to produce at least some head so this variable can be positive or negative depending on the concept of the observer. So we have the optimum delivery of beer meaning that a head must be produced (say “1”), this we will define as the optimum or constant “o” as previously indicated. Unfortunately when the beer slips down the side of the glass and hits the beer already in the glass (foam) is produced. This is the equation we are going to produce, and what’s important and what’s not. Proof is all that counts.

Is it this simple? Afraid not, it's a decade more complex.

:) :) :) :) :) :happy:

I REPEAT...

Originally posted by gonaads
Stick head under "tap" of "keg", open mouth, pull lever, drink/chug... who the hell needs a glass. :rolleyes: :cool:

'nuff said. :cool:

Originally posted by Henyman

it should take about 30 seconds 2 pour it.

30 seconds to pour? i could pound my beer faster than you could pour it, thats sad.

---
career high: 34 second 1-handed Keg stand, full flow..

back in high school.. those were the days.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back