Fluctuating volume with Audigy

Moonwraith

OSNN Veteran Addict
Heya guys (not been around for a while)

I've been noticing more and more frequently that my speakers seems to be fluctuating in volume. I'm not moving either of my volume controls (one being on keyboard, and obviously the speaker set) - and it can get pretty loud one second and back down to quiet.

It's alright when playing a game, doesn't get too annoying - but listening to music at 2am can get a pain in the ass when it suddenly gets louder! :)

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy
Speakers: Creative Inspire 5100

Thanks for any help anyone can come up with!

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers? Also, check the connections of the speakers just in case.

Heyas ming, well - I've redownloaded the latest drivers (no new ones since nov last year, or before. can't remember) and i haven't tested long enough to tell whether it's fixed the fluctuations or not - but now, it only allows me to have one source of sound at a time.

e.g. I used to play WoW with wmp going, it cuts off the sound of wmp now when i open WoW :speechless:

I've come up with the easiest/best solution, get some of those nice drivers kermit posts, and go with my onboard :p

moonwraith what model of audigy is it, i had exactly the same problem with an audigy card, I thought it was the harmon kardon speakers (which i got for $5 at a garage sale, worth about $150 from the store). But it turned out to be my audigy card. Shame because the water sound effects in EQ2 sounded pretty good.

My solution, same as yours got a refund, but a dvd burner and other crap, and just used my onboard sound instead.

I have the same problem.

Sound Blaster Audigy, DR release 1.84.45
Inspire 5300
WinXPSP2
fully updated Creative software

The fluctuations happen randomly but never when Im playing any games or DVDs. Only happens when I play videos and audio files. This happens on what ever media player I have used. Foobar2000, WMP, QT, MPC, VideoLan, Divx Player, Creative Media Source and Playcenter.

I have been experiencing this for quite a while now and over that period of time, I have re-installed Windows on several occassions as I do every month and a bit. Made no difference.

I thought it might be due to power cables next to speaker cables, or loose cables. Was not either.

The sound card is firmly in place on the motherboard, so it might be down to just an old soundcard as I have had this one for about 3 years.

Which drivers are you using? I've been using the original ones that came in the box along with the webupdate for WinXP.

This is a very interesting issue. I have a piece of shizz Audigy as well... but I havn't had the wonderful fluctuating volume issue you are all reporting. I would like to know if anybody has experienced this:

unplug Antec surround system, plug in headphone/mic setup for battlin....

hardest crash ever, need to hold down the power button for 5 seconds to turn it off. No task manager, no pause/break, screen, mouse freeze.

Looking into volume issue now..... it sounds hardware related damn it.

Hey guys - cheers for the responses, currently i'm just leaving it take up pci space. the card's 3 years old - as far as i know it's just the basic Audigy. I've tried getting latest drivers, but that's just messed me round even more! might eventually get round to relying on the drivers that came with it, but atm: i'm quite impressed with the onboard sound on this baby!

1) Try the KX Project drivers. This clarify whether it is a software/hardware problem.

2) I have also heard of this problem with the 5100's. Basically, the potentiometer in the volume nob is not of high quality and wears out/gets dirty. You can try getting some tuner cleaner from Radio Shack.

well it's not fluctuating with the onboard sound, so it is definitely to do with the audigy :( I'll give those drivers a looksee after work, cheers dreamliner

Hey ... one of my friends has the same problem ...excuse me HAD the same problem with a turtle beach santa cruz sound card. Turns out his powersupply was going bad. We replaced the powersupply and blam ..it worked.

I bought a brand new audigy bearly 24hrs old, and it did the same thing, i think it was a dr as well. Obviously something wrong with the board itself, i doubt any driver is going to help.

ming said:
Which drivers are you using? I've been using the original ones that came in the box along with the webupdate for WinXP.

The last clean installation of my system, I installed the drivers from the CD that came with my soundcard and the proceeded with the web-update from the Creative website.

A few months ago, I didnt bother with the web-update until the fluctuations became more frequent. So, I aint so sure if it is a software problem.

I found a possible solution over in the Creative forums which I have already tried but due to the positions of all my wires, I still get the problem, which cant be helped unless I attach all my speaker wires on the wall!

http://forums.creative.com/creative...message.id=1492&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

Last edited:
I doubt that's the problem. I highly suggest trying the KX drivers first.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back