Fixing IE

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey All

I am trying to get rid of all the problems of IE6 on my system.

I have tried IE7 install, but still end up with same crashes.

Is there and uninstall/reinstall procedure for IE6? I have tried several repair things from MS to no avail,

Thanks,

Heeter

What exactly are the problems?

If you want to re-install IE6 simply navigate to C:\WINDOWS\inf - right click on ie.inf and choose install.

You may need your XP CD handy.

Again though - what problems specifically? Do they happen under multiple user profiles?

Hi KC,

It crashes when I logon to certain sites, it crashes when I try to download something, anything. The "Send Report" popup shows up.

I tried the ie.inf reinstall with my CD, to no avail.

I also tried anti spyware proggies, antivirus proggy (AVGFree).

Heeter

You're screwed:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/EN-US/
"By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be removed. To provide computer manufacturers more flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer "

Anything version but XP allows for actual uninstall. XP only allows you to hide it. They intentionally bound the IE code to the OS back when they were being sued about removal. There was a court case where an anit MS guy demo'd removal prior to certain builds and then that removal was impossible after those builds.

Try closing pagefile, restore, etc. And doing the repair process on the link. It might help. If not think Netscape, etc.

Thanks Leejend,

Started backing up stuff last night, looks like I am going this route. I am going to reformat when I get home.

Been using Opera sincetwo months ago, might just stick that until IE7 goes Gold. I have a lot of training manuals online that the online school only allows viewing through IE. Too bad. I really like Opera. I did know that was part of Windows, but hopefully thought that maybe there was another way around fixing this without reformatting.

Heeter

Uninstall IE7 - then:

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
Start, Run and entering the following command:
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf
You will need to have your XP CD available.
[/FONT]

Hi, Lynchknot, tried that line command last night, did not work.

Hey KC, will patch that tonight. I did try a patch, but I don't thinkthat it was that one.

Thanks,

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back