Fixing a split raid 5 array

Racer_600

OSNN Junior Addict
I have an Asus motherboard, M2N-E, with an onboard RAID controller, NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra. I had 5 SATA drives plugged into slots 1 through 5 of the 6 possible plugs on the MB. I used those 5 drives in a RAID 5 setup and all has been good for 2 months. This morning windows Vista did a driver update and after rebooting, where it normally listed a single RAID 5 array as healthy it listed 2 RAID 5 arrays as broken. It seems that one of the new arrays is 2 disks and the other is 3 disks. Now I know that if it was 1 and 4 disk, I would delete the single and use it to rebuild the 4 disk set back to 5. But I do not know how to basically remerge those 2 arrays back into 1. I also know I could start from scratch but I don't want to loose the contents of what is currently stored. I put an IDE drive back in this machine running windows XP x64 that was loaded from before I got the new drives temporarily but I want the other contents back. I tried google, i tried the nvidia forum but I am not entirely sure what I am even looking for. Any help/tips/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

You're right, not much out there.

What little I could find implied that if 2 drives went down it is because the recovery from the first failure damaged the array. This happens if you have one of the drives designated as a hot spare that the controller automatically uses to fix a failed drive among the other 4. There was nothing about rebuilding from 3 healthy. It looks like it is not possible.

I'll keep looking.

Roll back the driver that was updated.

Steevo, I cant rollback the driver because vista was on that raid that is now broken and is inaccessible.
LeeJend, thanks for looking. I hope something can be done, as all 5 drives are good and should contain their data but are just not listed in the same array.

An update for anyone interested or later experiences similar problems. I contacted ASUS who said to delete one of the arrays from mediashield right after the bios screen and then rebuild the other. When I clicked to rebuild the larger set, the one that contained 3 disks, it let me add one of the 2 and then wanted to rebuild. I opted to tell it not to, deleted the other raid so I had no raids available. I then created a new array with the same specs I did the first time, down to same order for the disk. It then asked if I wanted to clear the disks, I said no, rebooted and under the XP I had on the extra IDE drive it saw all my files in the partitions that where there before.
The next steps are to backup as many of the files as I can, just incase and then try booting off it to get back into VISTA.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back