[FIXED]Please help me with my video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

a dreams forever

OSNN Addict
Please help me with my video cards

I have a compaq presario 5000.. heres my problem.. I bought a small geforce2 to put in my PCI slot.. for a better card than the onboard.. when I have the pci geforce2 in the slot my monitor doesnt do anything.. blank screen.. when I take it out.. it shows up on my monitor.. when its in I tried to hook the monitor up to the geforce and the onboard.. nothing.. when its out it works again.. what is going on? I want to disable the onboard video card for I can use my gefroce2.. how do I disable the onboard video? I go in the BIOS and go to the VGA adapter and its set to disabled.. I thought this meant the onboard video will be disabled? well it isnt and it still works and Im still getting that problem.. someone told me it might be an actual jumper on my motherboard.. or a switch.. on a compaq presario 5000 does anyone know where this jumper is? if there is one.. I checked and I didnt see anything.. please help me..

have you tried different pci slots?

smetimes an IRQ issue can render the board dead till the offending device is removed..

try also turning ON th vga adaptor and see if this helps or hinders...

Sazar said:
have you tried different pci slots?

smetimes an IRQ issue can render the board dead till the offending device is removed..

try also turning ON th vga adaptor and see if this helps or hinders...

I tried different slots.. I tried alot of things.. i dont get it.. the monitor wont show anything at all if the card is in there.. could it be that the card is messed up and that I need to exchange it?

it possible...

when you plug the card in and nothing comes on.. when you turn off the system feel how hot the card is...

if it is un-naturally burning hot than it is possible the card is 'broken' and the heat is coming from the short in the marchitecture..

whoa.. that helped.. turned the settings ON started the comp.. restarted and turned them off.. it worked.. hmm weird though haha.. but thanks alot for the help.. its working now!!

kewl..

perhaps that setting was just not allowing other display devices to be searched for/used...

weird bios config but its been a while since I have used a board with an IGP :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back