First Webpage

djchapple

OSNN Addict
I am about to start on my first webpage.

I have written a very simple webpage, using Word, and I saved it as HTML.

I tried to "see" it in IE6 but all i see is the script.

I used View/Source to see the source of an existing webpage, saved it as txt and converted it to HTML using Word. I then loaded it in IE6 but all I saw was the script.

Can anyone point me to
(i) a solution for this simple problem
(ii) a simple (and I emphasize simple) starter guide for HTML
(iii) a cheap program for creating simple webpages in place of the more laborious Word and Notepad.

Many thanks

did you save it as an html file or just a plain txt file? it must be saved as an html.

and, when you opened it in ie 6.0, did you go to file->open->your web file?

Hi Koko.

I went to File/Open and then used Browse to find the file. I left Open as Web Folder unchecked and then clicked OK.

The file was saved in Word97 using File/Save as HTML and it has a htm extension.

I have downloaded a HTML tutorial, which also has a htm extension and this loads OK.

Hi Jewelzz. I have not yet had time to explore your goodies but i will do so soon.

many thanks to you both.

1st thing is get rid of word!!!!

after u get the basics + want to go further i would sugest various progs such as Dreamweaver which lets u change the script really easily. or u can try progs such as frountpage express which do it all for you with no scripts, but they do cost £££. html tends to be laborius anyway but it is fun + really easy 2 change once you've got it set up. there are free programs but i've never used any of them so cant coment:(

to start dead simple use notepad. copy/paste this into it
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE>Henyman's Test page </TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY bgcolor=#B0C0D0>
test..................................

</BODY>

</HTML>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

then go file>>save and save it as test.Html it should end up as the atachment if u do it right.

Hi Koko.

I went to File/Open and then used Browse to find the file. I left Open as Web Folder unchecked and then clicked OK.

The file was saved in Word97 using File/Save as HTML and it has a htm extension.

I have downloaded a HTML tutorial, which also has a htm extension and this loads OK.

Hi Jewelzz. I have not yet had time to explore your goodies but i will do so soon.

many thanks to you both.

Thanks Henyman

I had already decided to change to Notepad. Since the change I have had some success.

At first I will stick to Notepad and doing it all the hard way. Later on, when i have a better idea what I am doing, I may decide to use a more sophisticated program.

Roughly how much are Dreamweaver and FrontPage Express. Are there any other simpler cheaper programs?

Hi again Jewelzz

I have tried the links you have suggested and I am impressed. I have worked with computers and programming since the first mainframes became available in Universities (Elliot 803 8Kb RAM and big enough to fill a house) and I am not afraid of tackling a new "language".

Very many thanks to you all on NTFS. Long may the Forum survive.

If you learn to create your web pages in *NOTEPAD*, you pretty much will learn all the code and make up any page you want.

There is also a tutorial book called: "<creative html design> a hands-on html 4.0 web design tutorial" It's written by Lynda Weinman and William Weinman.

You can check on it at:

http://www.htmlbook.com

It costs about $40.00 U.S. and it also has a CD with the book.

There is a newer version out but either one is an excellent book, shows basic setup of pages more advanced pages inserting images into pages. How to edit images in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to use in web pages and so on...

u can trial dreamweaverHere or u can buy it Here but is is expensive (US $399.00)
i wouls say it is well worth trying even if u dont buy it so that u can see how good it is.

frountpage info can be found + broughtHere for us $169

frountpage basically does it all for you via templates were as dreamweaver uses html still so you can can easily add in scripts etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back