First time setting up a home network

GunBlade008

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi everyone, as my title implies, I've just ordered DSL internet and it is to be activated in a few days. My friend suggested

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=012772&cid=NT.541

for a router/modem combo, and told me I needed filters as well. I would like to ask if anyone could talk me through the process of setting up the network, step by step if possible. Some things I don't quite understand are

1. Do I need a filter for each of my phone lines? If so, what are their purposes?

2. Ok, I have the router/modem ready, where do I plug it in and how do I configure it?

3. How do I go about setting up a security enabled network so that nobody steals my internet?

Thanks in advance for those who answer!

Hi everyone, as my title implies, I've just ordered DSL internet and it is to be activated in a few days. My friend suggested

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=012772&cid=NT.541

for a router/modem combo, and told me I needed filters as well. I would like to ask if anyone could talk me through the process of setting up the network, step by step if possible. Some things I don't quite understand are

First of all: Who did you pick as an ISP (Internet Service Provider)?

1. Do I need a filter for each of my phone lines? If so, what are their purposes?

Yes you do, they basically filter out the noise the modem makes and sort of reduces interference from the phones.

If you can, install your modem at your demarcation point that way you can put the whole house on one filter. A demarc point is usually a plug in the basement where the phone line comes into the house, some newer installs have this in a box outside. If that's the case the simplest way is to install filters on each phone.

2. Ok, I have the router/modem ready, where do I plug it in and how do I configure it?

Did you purchase the 2wire modem? Because some providers offer modems (like Bell sympatico) and a regular router would be better (such as a Linksys WRT54GL). If you did buy the 2wire then we can try to figure it out.

I'm not sure if there is any special DSL config that would need to be setup, if your friend recommended it then he must have one and can maybe help you out. If not we can try to help you out as much as we can.

3. How do I go about setting up a security enabled network so that nobody steals my internet?

You need to enable encryption, also called security, on your wireless network. I don't have any experience with the above modem/router so I can't help you there, the manual should tell you how. If you aren't going to use the wireless then you can disable it until you need it.

For wireless security you first need your wireless modem up and running and accessible bu a hard line or by wireless. I just did a friends setup and I believe there is little chance of his being broken into. And there are four other networks around his place, all unsecured.

The easiest encryption is by MAC address limiting, and a 128bit strength WEP key that has odd symbols that aren't included in most if any cracking tools. Like ? that that is the alt + press 457. Most modems I have found will accept these as valid characters, and so will most wireless cards.

But when you get your wireless up and going come back and someone here should be able to help you.

Thanks to you both for replying so quickly! To answer Admiral Michael's questions, I chose teksavvy.com for my ISP, I have not bought the modem yet, because Canada Computer managed to botch up their stock count and made me go out of my way for nothing today.

I'm planning to purchase a different modem/router from TP-LINK and it is called the "TD-W8910G 54m Wireless ADSL2 + Router". I've literally visited 9 computer stores in downtown Toronto and none of them sell DSL Modems separately, only the modem and router combo ones. After today's hunt for modems and routers, I've come up with quite a bit of questions that I didn't think I would come across, sorry if this sounds repetitive!

1. Do I need to connect the modem/router to a computer or to just a phone line? (My desktop is all the way in the basement, my room is on the top floor and there's no computers to be used in the middle level)

2. What's the difference between ADSL, ADSL2 and DSL? Will my DSL still work with a ADSL2 Modem/router?

3. What do LAN and ETHERNET ports mean? Does it limit me to how many computer's can be on the network at a time?

Thanks again! This must be getting quite bothersome for some of you :p

1. To connect to the internet through your router, you will either need a wireless router, or you will need to drop an ethernet cable through the wall to your computers.

3. LAN is an abbreviation for Local Area Network. Ethernet is the standard network port - it looks a bit like a big phone line connector. The limit to how many computers are on your network depends on how many ethernet ports are on the back of the router you buy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back